Pentair Challenger runs for a bit then thermal shutdown

aaronp

Aug 28, 2008
Help!!
Pentair Challenger pump 2hp. Turn it on, it runs for about 30 seconds, the pressure is a little lower than normal (20psi rather than the usual 30 psi), then it shuts itself off. Breakers are all fine.
After a couple of minutes, you can hear an audible click, then the pump will turn on for another 30 seconds.

Haven't had a chance to tear it down and look for problems, any suggestions about where I should look for problems?

The pump is about 4-5 years old, and sat unused outside for several seasons. This season it was fired up for the first time in a couple of years and run really hard for the first two months.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thermal overload is usually due to some sort of excess friction or binding occuring in the pump. I would check the impeller for any debris and check the bearings for any obvious excess friction or binding.

Update with Pictures

I pulled the motor out of the pump, with intentions of getting the motor rebuilt or fixing it somehow.
Then I saw this...
3742287891_3c4fa33dc6.jpg

After seeing this, I assumed the motor was done. I got online and ordered another 2hp motor from poolpartsonline.com.
I upgraded to a 2 speed motor.
It cost me $371 and the standard shipping (on a 32 pound motor) was FREE!!
Order placed on Thursday the 16th at 8:30pm. Motor arrived Monday at 10:45am.
Installed it Monday evening, and WOW what a difference!!!

Apparently the bearings were going out on the old motor, from the first day we turned it on.
When the old motor was running, the whole neighborhood knew it. I had to close the windows to watch TV over the noise!
It seems (now) like DUH!!, I should have known the bearings were shot, but I didn't know what the motor was supposed to sound like until I installed this new motor.

I'm getting probably 10psi more pressure than I had before, and if I'm inside with ALL the windows open, I can't tell if the motor is running or not.

During the downtime, I continued to add bleach to the pool, hand scrub and manually scoop out debris. The kids continued to use the pool. On Monday, the pool had more debris floating around in it than normal, but the water was still crystal clear and algae free thanks to BBB!!

Follow up question...

My new motor is a two speed and 220v.
I haven't wired it for low speed yet, I'm waiting for some parts.

The L2 is connected.
L1 and A switch between High (L1) and Low (A) speed.

Can they be energized at the same time?

Ie:Can I have A energized, running low speed, and then energize L1 to kick it up for a cleaning cycle?
Or would this fry the motor?
This scenario would be the easiest to wire up, but I don't want to blow a brand new motor trying it.

You will want to wire the motor such that either one winding or the other is engaged but never both. A simple SPDT toggle switch can be used or a controller of some sort.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.