Thinking of changing AG plumbing

Jul 12, 2009
Rhode Island
I'm thinking of changing my pool's hose plumbing to either hard plumbing or flexpvc with rubber fernco clamps.

Here is my current plumbing:

96d6b9db.jpg

This connection consistently leaks year after year (all 4 years since we bought the house and inherited the pool with it).

6c598954.jpg

I'm thinking of doing hard PVC for both supply and return. I already have shutoff valves on both supply and return on the filter end, so I'd add shutoff valves on both supply and return at the pool end and unions on all 4 junctions as well. Something very similar to the photo in the first post on this thread.

My other option, of course, is just to use flexpvc pipe and rubber fernco fittings as those should provide a much tighter seal.

Which do people recommend and if the hard plumbing is recommended, what size tubing should be used? Would I go with 2" PVC on both supply and return? 2.5" on supply and 2" on return? 2" on supply 1.5" on return, etc...?

As a rule of thumb one 90º elbow equals 10' of straight run pipe so head loss from them isn't usually a problem. Your equipment (pump/filter) has requirements for how close a elbow can be to inlets and outlets but usually no closer than 12" is enough. You can put an elbow right on your return if you'd like. that's how mine is. My pump/filter is located about 15' away from the pool against the side of the house and the piping is run underground.

Bama Rambler said:
As a rule of thumb one 90º elbow equals 10' of straight run pipe so head loss from them isn't usually a problem. Your equipment (pump/filter) has requirements for how close a elbow can be to inlets and outlets but usually no closer than 12" is enough. You can put an elbow right on your return if you'd like. that's how mine is. My pump/filter is located about 15' away from the pool against the side of the house and the piping is run underground.

cool. thanks for the good info

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.