Have to buy a floating puck container

Titanium

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 26, 2007
SF Bay Area
I find myself having to buy a floating puck container tomorrow. I had tossed all of mine a couple of years ago when we began BBB. But we are leaving on vacation for 10 days and couldn't find anyone to help put in the daily liquid chlorine.

Since our CYA has drifted down to only 20-30 ppm, I don't have a problem using the 3" pucks for the 10 days. But I'm not sure how many pucks? Do I just fill up the puck floater as full as I can with pucks and call it good? The Pool Calculator doesn't calculate the amount of dichlor by the number of 3" pucks needed?

Thanks!

I put 3 in mine, when I was gone for 10 days recently, and the pool survived. (I also raised FC to shock level before leaving, not sure that was really required with the floater.) Yours is bigger, you might want 4 if they fit (or get 2 floaters).
--paulr

On the "effects of adding chems" section, if you put in trichlor, and each puck is usually 7 or 8 oz (look on package) you can determine that way what it will do. One 7 oz puck in your pool will riase the FC by 2 and the CYA by 1.

I'm not sure how quickly the puck will riase the FC by 2 though....I would say do 4 pucks?

Make sure your PH is 7.8 before you leave, and check the PH/TA before you go.

I would also suggest you shock the pool before you leave. Anyone around who can throw in a jug of bleach for ya?

Thanks for the help.

I tossed 4 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine in tonight. Each gallon should add around 4 ppm, for a total of at least 16 ppm tonight. I'll toss in the puck floater in the morning and put in as many pucks as will fit.

Normally my pH tends to drift upward, and I tend to live on the high side around 7.8 (or higher). I think my pH drifts upward because the spill-over spa tends to entrain air bubbles as the water goes down the outside edge of the spa and enters the pool.

I'll see if someone can toss in a gallon of 10% liquid chlorine in 7 days or so.

I'll let you know how everything works out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.