Newbie...trying to learn.

okccsi

Jul 15, 2009
Hello and thank you in advance for the multitude of questions I will likely be asking in the future. I live in central Oklahoma and work as a Traffic Control Technician. I am the guy that shuts down lanes and closes bridges, ******* everyone off in the process of it. I mainly program and maintain LED message boards and sometimes work on the state owned overhead structure signs as well.

I have a 20' Intex metal fram vinyl pool that we quickly learned was not capable of staying clean with more than one person being in it for 5 minutes at a time. My wife and I have 6 boys and the pool was a constant battle out first year. We decided to go to a local pool store and talk about our options. We left about an hour later with a 1.5hp pump and 200lb sand filter. Yes, we spent more on it than we did on the pool. The difference was much more than the often used "night & day" addage. We often get lazy with it at the end of the year, but have resolved ourselves to propert maintenance and care.

So here we are. We did our first round of tests today after battling a nasty algae attack. Finally found a decent vaccum hose and are half way to having it completely clean again. We used the pool calculator but since we are adding a couple hundred gallons of water after sending everything to waste we are going to test again tomorrow evening.

So that is us in a nutshell. Any thoughts or ideas are always welcome.

Thank you,

Hello, and welcome to TFP! Ask all the questions you need to, we're a pretty friendly bunch around here. I would suggest reading through the first two sections of pool school (click on the button above and to the right), and then ask about anything you might have a question about.

Here at TFP we advocate learning how to do your own testing, how to interpret the results, and then use those results to maintain your water balance by using common chemicals found for the most part at the grocery store or Wallyworld. You mentioned testing your water - how are you testing it?

Again, welcome, and look forward to having you on the forum.

Mike