recommend a ceramic cooker

The Big Green Egg is very nice. You're right about the spendy part. I want one I just haven't convinced myself that I want to spend that much. I know several people that have one and they cook really good. I've even been deep sea fishing on a boat that had one on it and they cooked boston butts for us that day.

SeanB on here swears by his Grill Dome, although it's quite pricey too. I don't think there is a thrifty ceramic smoker/grill, unless you build one as noted above.

I'd love to have a Grill Dome, but would have a hard time convincing the DW that I needed to spend that kind of money on a smoker/grill, considering I've already got a propane fired GOSM smoker and a new Charmglow LP grill.

I have owned pretty much every grill brand and type in my life and I can say that the gill I own now will be the last grill I ever have to buy. The grills won't rust out, the body won't rust or fall apart....this cooker will last my life and I will be able to pass it on to my children. Allot of folks may say I'm crazy for paying what I did for this cooker...but it is not only the best grill made it is a work of art and looks great on the patio.

I'm speaking of the KomodoKamado.

You can cook steaks like a high dollar steak house. You can bake bread. Cook pizza's that will make you never want to go out or order delivery again. You can go low-and-slow and make the best pulled pork, ribs, or brisket you have ever tasted. You can cook rotisserie chicken that is amazing. Feel free to drop me a PM if you have questions.

The owner of KomodoKamado, Dennis, provides the most amazing customer service...and he does it from Indonesia. He stands behind his products. Visit the forum on his website and see the posts and you will understand.

Man, how did I miss this thread! Mike is correct, I LOVE my Grill Dome (GD). I agree with others that any ceramic cooker would be a great choice, but GD is among the best in terms of value for the dollar - IMO. Big Green Egg is iconic, but you pay a bit more for the name I think. I'm not knocking them in anyway, but they get to charge a little more because they have a well established brand.

The advantage of the GD is that it comes fully assembled, has stainless parts and thicker ceramic and longer heat retention than other ceramics.

You can read about them at www.grilldome.com. A buddy of mine bought a Primo and loves it as well. It's pretty versatile and is made in the U.S.

bbqbrew said:
I have owned pretty much every grill brand and type in my life and I can say that the gill I own now will be the last grill I ever have to buy. The grills won't rust out, the body won't rust or fall apart....this cooker will last my life and I will be able to pass it on to my children. Allot of folks may say I'm crazy for paying what I did for this cooker...but it is not only the best grill made it is a work of art and looks great on the patio.

You can cook steaks like a high dollar steak house. You can bake bread. Cook pizza's that will make you never want to go out or order delivery again. You can go low-and-slow and make the best pulled pork, ribs, or brisket you have ever tasted. You can cook rotisserie chicken that is amazing. Feel free to drop me a PM if you have questions.

The owner of KomodoKamado, Dennis, provides the most amazing customer service...and he does it from Indonesia. He stands behind his products. Visit the forum on his website and see the posts and you will understand.

Which size of KK did you bought? and also wich one of them?
If you compare this unit to an offset smoker, I get the impression that this cooker doesen't create as much smoke as an offset. Is that correct?
//Mats

Most people cook with lump charcoal in their ceramics. You can also use chunks of raw wood, or do like I do and do a combination of both. I mix the raw wood in layers with the lump and when during a slow burn you'll have continuous smoke. You won't lack for plenty of smoke flavor.

absolutely love my primo..I have used it at least 10 times and it keeps getting better. Lump charcoal burns hotter if that is what you want. You can control the heat so much better, low for a long slow smoke or 700'F plus for a quick hot sear. Some say too pricey. It depends on how much you'll use it. I use mine a lot, I was going through gas grills every two years and so I just saved up and bought my last grill I'll need for a while. My primo seals so good, it gets close to 200'F just from the sun. It just makes me smile...

Henry Porter said:
bbqbrew said:

Which size of KK did you bought? and also wich one of them?
If you compare this unit to an offset smoker, I get the impression that this cooker doesen't create as much smoke as an offset. Is that correct?
//Mats

I have a 23" OTB...not the ultimate so I don't have gas option, dark blue tiles. It produces as much smoke as you want, all depends on how much wood you use. I have never had anyone say my briskets or butts were NOT smokey enough.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
wmshay6 said:
Recently looked at the BGE. Nice, but spendy.

Does anyone else have experience with Ceramic cookers and care to recommend some other things for me to start comparing?
Here's an alternative to consider: this post got me interested in the Big Steel Keg as a less expensive alternative to the BGE. It is insulated steel instead of ceramic.

The post mentioned the Bubba Keg; that's the older product style & name. Some Home Depots still have closeout deals on the older model at half the price of the BSK, but those go quickly when someone on the BSK forum mentions finding one.

:cheers: Great to see some Grill Domers here

Grill Dome is my choice..

awesome cooker. thicker ceramic than BGE and put together much better.

much better warranty as well.

[attachment=2:1v3r2qgq]GD1 (10)s.JPG[/attachment:1v3r2qgq]
[attachment=1:1v3r2qgq]gd3.jpg[/attachment:1v3r2qgq]
[attachment=0:1v3r2qgq]gd3a.jpg[/attachment:1v3r2qgq]

Attachments

• GD1 (10)s.JPG
    GD1 (10)s.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 215
  • gd3.jpg
    gd3.jpg
    454.1 KB · Views: 214
  • gd3a.jpg
    gd3a.jpg
    458 KB · Views: 214
Regarding cooking, I think the BGE, Grill Dome and Primo Oval XL are all fairly close. What I liked about the Primo is - Made in USA, excellent customer service and at the time was the biggest. And with it being oval, it allowed for cooking of full spare ribs (side to side). I have now had for (2) years and love it. Never even use my gas grill anymore. Best food I have ever cooked and a joy to use. Had two issues that Primo took care of directly right away. Doesn't matter who you buy it from as all warranty is done via Primo. Cannot go wrong!

For good info - check out the forum at primogrillforum.com

Good luck in your choice. Any of the big three are great!

My Primo:
finishedprimotable.jpg

Makes great smoked meat AND pizza!
pizza.jpg

No sir, that is an Old Pizza Stone 16" and I find it cooks best with D Plates in place and with the pizza stone elevated on the extender racks AND lifted up with (4) copper 90's. Usually around 550F. I have been doing ciabatta bread pizza lately and it ROCKS!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.