Is This Normal?

mickey4paws

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 10, 2009
S.E. MI
Last night I covered the pool with the solar cover and some water got on the cover. Today I note that there is some salt stain where the water was. Not a lot, but it's there. I also note on the edges of the solar cover there is a bit of salt too. I've had the SWG running since May and haven't had any problems. Salt is at 3200 ppm. Also, when I cleaned the pool this past weekend with the auto cleaner and was cleaning the bag, I noticed some bits of salt in there. I've never noticed this before. I thought all the salt would be dissolved, but maybe not?

Is this normal?

yes, very normal for salt deposits. it's salt water and as the water evaporates, it leaves salt, go figure. when i'm in the pool with my sunglasses on, of course they get wet and the next day they have small salt deposits on them... taste them, just like table salt... :mrgreen:

Thanks, Sredish! I thought it probably was normal but I just had never noticed it before. Yesterday after I cleaned the pool again, I saw a little bit in the cleaning bag, tasted it and it was indeed salt :mrgreen:

Thanks, Pool Clown :) We have the solar cover on a reel and whenever we roll it up, we always hose it off. We live on a dirt road and get a nice film of dirt on the cover all the time.

I also wonder if the salt remants or whatever you would call it are because our filter is leaking pretty nicely. We're replacing the filter next week so hope that helps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't think so. The filter is leaking at the dome. I just thought that since it was leaking, maybe it wasn't filtering properly?? Meanwhile, the PB showed up yesterday with our new filter. He was just dropping it off but should be installing it, along with our new heater, tomorrow and I can't wait. Pool temp was 75 this morning and I've got 3 buckets around the filter to catch the leaking water.

I haven't seen any more salt stains on the solar cover. I just thought it was strange because I'd never noticed it before but our SWG is only a month old so I don't have much experience.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.