Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is This Normal?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is This Normal?

Last night I covered the pool with the solar cover and some water got on the cover. Today I note that there is some salt stain where the water was. Not a lot, but it's there. I also note on the edges of the solar cover there is a bit of salt too. I've had the SWG running since May and haven't had any problems. Salt is at 3200 ppm. Also, when I cleaned the pool this past weekend with the auto cleaner and was cleaning the bag, I noticed some bits of salt in there. I've never noticed this before. I thought all the salt would be dissolved, but maybe not?

Is this normal?
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is This Normal?

Salt will dissolve, calcium scale will not (but will dissolve in acid.) Depending on your numbers it could very well be normal.

3. Back To Top    #3

Last year we had a saltwater pool, but no SWG, and there were salt deposits on top of the solar cover where the water had evaporated.

Adam
    18' x 42" Intex Easyset Pool, with 16' x 52" deep end in the middle. Approx. 5500 Gal.
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1 HP, 100# Jacuzzi Brand Sand Filter(Piped underground so it looks nice) 8)
    3 - 2' x 20' Solar Pool Heater Panels(roof mounted)
    Goin' on 9 summers...NOBODY thought it would last this long.
    Buried Portable Spa sharing pumps and water with pool (Almost complete project)

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the replies, Waterbear and Adam. My test yesterday was:

FC 4.5
    CC 0.5
    PH 7.5
    TA 90
    CYA 70

I did not do a calcium hardness test yet but will run one now.
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

5. Back To Top    #5

Just an update. I did a CH test and it was at 220. So I guess this is just normal with a SWG. Thanks again

6. Back To Top    #6

yes, very normal for salt deposits. it's salt water and as the water evaporates, it leaves salt, go figure. when i'm in the pool with my sunglasses on, of course they get wet and the next day they have small salt deposits on them... taste them, just like table salt...
    My Pool - 18x24 fully setup Cabana, 22x48 gunite/quartz plaster (3-5-3 depth) & 8' spa w/ spill and 5' natural rock waterfall; Hayward DE filter/pumps/heater; Hayward Pro Logic controller; Phantom cleaner. Finished 06/01/07.

RedishConstruction.com

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks, Sredish! I thought it probably was normal but I just had never noticed it before. Yesterday after I cleaned the pool again, I saw a little bit in the cleaning bag, tasted it and it was indeed salt

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

If you get too much of a build up, hose it off before you take the cover off.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks, Pool Clown We have the solar cover on a reel and whenever we roll it up, we always hose it off. We live on a dirt road and get a nice film of dirt on the cover all the time.

I also wonder if the salt remants or whatever you would call it are because our filter is leaking pretty nicely. We're replacing the filter next week so hope that helps.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Let me get this correct, is the salt on your cover due to the filter leaking???
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

11. Back To Top    #11

I don't think so. The filter is leaking at the dome. I just thought that since it was leaking, maybe it wasn't filtering properly?? Meanwhile, the PB showed up yesterday with our new filter. He was just dropping it off but should be installing it, along with our new heater, tomorrow and I can't wait. Pool temp was 75 this morning and I've got 3 buckets around the filter to catch the leaking water.

I haven't seen any more salt stains on the solar cover. I just thought it was strange because I'd never noticed it before but our SWG is only a month old so I don't have much experience.