Need help with Algae Problem

I may be wrong, it might not turn to CC always. I am really interested to know. So far, every morning my numbers are the same. I have had .5 CC since I got the good test kit. I thought it was 1.0 also btw at first.

One thing about your larger filter pump and that strong outflow. I have upgraded just to a 2000GPH Intex pump, I have quite a bit of outflow, and was in a situation where I was dropping the PH about 4 points a day, it just kept rising, and with the aeration from the outflow, I inadvertently dropped my TA from about 160 to 70! I purchased a second skimmer so that I could rob the hose off of it to put on the outflow to stop the fountain effect. So now the TA is holding steady.

I have the aqua critter too and as long as everything is perfect, and there isn't a small air leak or a leaf stuck in a hose somewhere, it does very well on my pool just directly from the inflow. It doesn't get every inch, but it was sure worth the money.

well, I over done it on the bigger filter....I bought a sand filter and my flow is going out to the middle of the pool it's so strong...every online pool store told me I couldn't use it with my metal frame intex pool, they said it would collapse the pool...yea right, that was the best thing I did was buy that Hayward sand filter and 1/2 hp flow pump.....cost almost as much as the pool or maybe even more.

I love that little aqua critter....in the past it would take me a good 45 minutes to an hour, now I leave that thing going and in about an hour it has clean 95% of the pool, and all I do is spend about 5 minutes doing what it didn't get. Best $109.99 I ever spent.

Ok, I think that is WWAAAY to big to be either pollen or algae, unless that was a hunk of it... I could not really tell since the photo was blurry. Is it slimy? it almost looks like a leaf!
Also cannot tell what type of tree it is, though even it the photo was closer I probably would not know. I do know it is not a tallow tree.

Did you try covering your pool last night?

no, we didn't try to cover it, we were lazy last night....

all we did was vacuum it with the aqua critter, and then it rained hard last night, but yes, that green stuff I was holding on my finger is kinda scummy, but if you rub it on like the deck, it'll break apart, greenish color.

that piece was about the biggest piece I found in there last night. Their usually oval shaped, and not very big, about the size of a grain of rice, but most are smaller.

but, last night the FC was at 13 and it only dropped to 12 this morning.

do you have the intex floating skimmer? or could you get it? it might help keep the stuff off the surface... I am really not sure where to go from here.

Try to fight the lazies tonight :) and get the pool covered. That will hopefully tell you a lot, whether it is something in the water or something blowing into it.

we're going to try that either tonight or someday this week, but I'm still letting the FC level go back to around 5ppm....at the high levels, it's iratating my daughter's eye's....

I know I could make them stay out of the pool, but they want to go swiming bad, and I thought when I had the FC up around 15 it wouldn't bother them, but it's bothering her and not my son.....

so, I'm dropping the FC level for now and see if I get an increase of whatever that is in the pool.

btw, what is the Intex floating skimmer?

yep the pool came with that, and with my upgraded sand filter is does catch a great deal of what were referring too, but since the inflow jet reaches to about the middle of the pool, the water under the tree, what we're referring too, clinks to the skim line under the tree, and that's where most of this stuff is.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
LadywithIron said:
It's probably the tree, unless you have a practical joker for a neighbor that is waiting until you go to sleep to slip moss into your pool......

lol....yea I'm thinking it's the tree too...but I did put a bucket under the tree for 24 hours....no algae, and none of the stuff I found that was in the pool, so that test didn't come out the way I expected it to.

but, the FC is down to 8.5 this morning from 9 at 8pm yesterday and from 13 yesterday morning. So, it's holding sorta the FC overnight.

That is odd about the bucket, you should have the stuff all over the ground as well, or atleast something on the ground if it is coming from the tree.
Did you use pool water, or tap water in the bucket?

I just wonder if maybe it could be some kind of sap coming off of this tree having a reaction with the water or something. I do not recognize the tree. Mom has pecan trees that emit a sap, a misty sap that gets on car windows and is MURDER to remove. :evil:

BTW is this city water, or well water?

I guess you could take some of the gunk and put it into a bucket and see what happens to it after a day or two.

LadywithIron said:
That is odd about the bucket, you should have the stuff all over the ground as well, or atleast something on the ground if it is coming from the tree.
Did you use pool water, or tap water in the bucket?

I just wonder if maybe it could be some kind of sap coming off of this tree having a reaction with the water or something. I do not recognize the tree. Mom has pecan trees that emit a sap, a misty sap that gets on car windows and is MURDER to remove. :evil:

BTW is this city water, or well water?

I guess you could take some of the gunk and put it into a bucket and see what happens to it after a day or two.

it was tap water......city water...I guess what I'll do next is to use tap water again, put some of whatever it is in the bucket and try and get the bucket to the outer reaches of the branches on the tree cause that's what is over the pool....

I had the bucket at first under the tree and the pool isn't really under it, but the outer branches overhang the pool....

so, I'll try that next.

I have the FC down to 6.5 now and it doesn't seem to cause anymore of that stuff, some but not anymore than what is usually there...

I do think it's from the branches, cause it has rained the past 2 days, and maybe that has washed whatever was on the tree off...I'm thinking it'll only produce whatever it is in the pool, if it hasn't rained for a period of time. If that makes any sense.

From the fuzzy picture, the tree looks like a willow oak, a member of the black oak family. Can;t tell for sure.

If you suspect the tree, identify it correctly, and read up on it's characteristics. You should be able to eliminate it or confirm that's the cause.

just a little update:

the FC has been holding at 6ppm with my CYA at 35, and only once (when we were on a day trip, this past Saturday) did it drop below 3, and I added bleach to get it to 6ppm again....even when that happened it didn't produce more than usually of what we haven't figured out what it is yet.

so, I'm assuming it's harmless, cause I only find a couple every now and then.

the water is crystal clear and beautiful.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.