DE Filter Not Functioning Properly?

verun

Jun 18, 2009
Hi,
I am just getting over an extensive shocking phase which means that I must clean my filter twice-three times per day. Usually I can get 2.5 hours on a fresh cleaning. I have had the filter for three years and when I open the filter to clean it there is very little DE on the filter element itself and once I pull the element out the DE is sitting on the bottom of the filter housing in a pile. I do not know if this is because after I pull the plug to let the water out it brings the DE to the bottom or the filter is simply not functioning how it should. I tried to fix the problem by putting less DE in the filter but there was no difference. I put the DE in through the skimmer and make a slurry of DE in water before pouring it?

What's Wrong?

How old are the grids? Any of them torn or have broken 'sockets' where they plug in to the manifold? When was the last time you took them completely apart and gave them a good cleaning?

I've had the same problem in the past. I believe it is because whatever organics you killed in the water get mixed with the DE and for whatever reason prevent it from coating the grids. Just keep cleaning and adding DE until you get the water clear. Once the water is clear you will be fine.

Hi all! I am new to this site, and I am having a tough time trying to post a new question.
I have a hayward perflex filter. This is my second filter because de was getting into the pool. It got in from day one and after a few years we bought a new filter...same problem. Any ideas?

verun said:
I have been cleaning it nearly daily for the past week by taking apart the filter. There are no tears from what I can see.
Hi,
do you "bump" before you drain the filter? That knocks some of the DE off the filter. Unless mine is really dirty it knocks off about 90% when bumped.

Verun, sorry it took a second look at this to see a possible cause :oops:

If the filter material itself were congested, the DE wouldn't be able to stick to it as the waterflow is low - disregard this if the gauge shows a normal psi and the return flow is 'normal' after cleaning the filter.

If the psi is higher than normal after cleaning or the flow diminished, it's time for a chemical cleaning of the grids/ fingers :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.