What shock level?

kenny

May 22, 2009
Florida
I'm going to shock my pool. The Chlorine/CYA chart in Pool School tells me to use shock level of 30 (my cya is 80 and FC is 5.5). However, the pool calculator is saying to shock it at 21. Which one should I use?

thanks,

Hi Kenny,

The Chlorine/CYA Chart is a little more agressive than Jason's Pool Calculator for shock levels.

Both will work, but the higher should work a little faster.

We recommend that you use only Liquid Chlorine/Bleach (plain unscented 6%) for shocking your pool.

Have you read How to shock your pool in Pool School?

Thanks,

I read pool school but it said to just add Chlorine and I wasn't sure if it was liquid or granuler. Is liquid chlorine cheaper than bleach or are they the same?

I talked to the pool store today and they said the liquid chlorine was more expensive than the bags of shock treatment??

Not really. A cost analysis was done by one of our special contributors and it showed bleach was the cheapest method of chlorine, when other issues are factored in. You have to shop around for the best price, I can get 12.5% liquid chlorine for $3.00 gallon/128 oz which is similar in price to Wal-mart's Great Value 6% bleach at $2.54 for 182 oz.

Kenny,
I'm new around here myself...and the sum of my knowledge, well…isn’t much…but I’m learning the BBB way! :goodjob: The preferred chlorine is the plane ol’ 6% Chlorox (not the outdoor stuff, scented, or ???) I just made a Wal Mart run and it was $3.34 for the 182oz jug. I had priced out Home Depot and several local pool stores for their liquid chlorine (most of which was 12%) and the 6% Chlorox is the best deal (and yes I did consider the other was 12%). :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It always blows my mind that liquid chlorine seems to be impossible to find in Texas. The main source is the pool store, but some areas have it at walmart, grocery stores, hardware stores, etc. But I've seen several people from Texas on here who can't find it anywhere.

We've had a lot of rain and it seems to be getting a green tint.....could be my imagination though. The balance of the pool has been real good and haven't shocked the pool since we opened it 3 months ago. So I figured I'd try it for the first time.

kenny said:
We've had a lot of rain and it seems to be getting a green tint.....could be my imagination though. The balance of the pool has been real good and haven't shocked the pool since we opened it 3 months ago. So I figured I'd try it for the first time.

I agree with Reebok, do an overnight loss test first, to determine if you even NEED to shock.

A properly chlorinated pool rarely needs shocking - even 3 months in...The only reason I've shocked my pool in 2 years is to go on extended vacations and to winterize.

Thanks for the recommendations. I just tested FC and it's at 5.5 and my CC is at 1.0 (just had my niece and 3 of her friends swimming for the week). I don't think the pool looks very green but with the CC, I shocked it tonight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.