Milky water

Jun 12, 2007
North Carolina
I'm asking this question for a lady at my church. She just got an 18 foot above ground pool. Water was fine...chlorine was reading fine, but it was showing NO PH (the water was CLEAR though). She's using a "frog". That's some kind of special thing that releases the chemicals into the pool and you have to buy "backpacks" to put in it. We were supposed to get one with our pool, but we didn't want it, so we swapped it for a solar cover.

Anyways, she said her PH wasn't reading and the pool store made her buy some kind of chemicals. She put them in and her water is now milky. They then had her buy something else and it's not helping. She has a sand filter, is running it 24/7 and brushing and vacuuming daily. Any ideas on what the problem is? She has nobody to help her with the pool ( her husband has health issues and just got out of the hospital. He's not capable of helping her). I really want to help her get her pool cleared up. Thanks everyone!

To help, we're really going to need test result numbers. There is no such thing as "no pH", as it's a measure of the acidity of the water. If the pH was low, they might have sold her soda ash and/or baking soda to raise pH and total alkalinity, both of which can cloud the water after addition.

I know it sounds like a sales pitch, but if you can get her to buy a decent test kit like Dave's and teach her to use it, you will be doing her a huge favor.

Let her know that the Frog is putting metals in her water (they call them minerals in the literature), specifically silver and zinc. It is similar to a Nature 2 except that it is a silver/zinc system instead of a silver/copper system. Zinc does about the same thing as copper in the water--kills algae.

The backpacks she has to buy are just expensive trichlor cartridges! Have her watch her CYa levels! She will also have to replace the mineral packs on a regular basis. It is an expensive way to santizie a pool. Also, if she gets algae they will tell her to use Frog Bam which is just a copper based algaecide so she will have silver, zinc, AND copper in her water!

waterbear said:
Let her know that the Frog is putting metals in her water (they call them minerals in the literature), specifically silver and zinc. It is similar to a Nature 2 except that it is a silver/zinc system instead of a silver/copper system. Zinc does about the same thing as copper in the water--kills algae.

The backpacks she has to buy are just expensive trichlor cartridges! Have her watch her CYa levels! She will also have to replace the mineral packs on a regular basis. It is an expensive way to santizie a pool. Also, if she gets algae they will tell her to use Frog Bam which is just a copper based algaecide so she will have silver, zinc, AND copper in her water!

Good Call Waterbear,

Exactly what I was going to say!

Take care,

Michael Silvester

I'm a former "frog" user for 5 seasons, and I will tell you it led to nothing but trouble....I've converted to BBB this year and its just as easy and much less money....the mineral cartridges have to be replaced every 6 months and they range from $70-$100, the bac-pacs are $16 minimum and will lead to high CYA which leads to trouble, the pool stores tell you the CL won't read above a .5 with a frog system, but then you end up with algea and metal problems, thats what happened to me...the pool stores around here also told me "not to worry" about the high CYA. I recommend losing the frog ASAP. Yes, it's convenient, but will lead to trouble later.

A kid in a pool store told me that I didn't need to worry about testing for free and combined chlorine. In all fairness the store recently sold and it wasn't a very old employee. But he did say that he goes out and tests water in different pools an doesn't bother with that so hmmm

Getting people to understand that all is not well just because the water looks good is tough. Especially if someone else is around saying, "Oh for years all I have done is added pucks and shocked once a week and no one has ever gotten sick"

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.