Just getting started in Frisco, TX

Shuck Water

Bronze Supporter
Jun 15, 2017
Frisco, TX
Hello everyone, my name is Steve and I have officially become obsessed with adding a pool lol. I’ll first start off by saying that every part of me rails against the cost of adding a pool. You buy a home with a pool right?! Well my wife and I love our house and my neighbor made the mistake of going on vacation for 2 weeks and let us and our kids use their pool at our leisure. It took maybe two days before I was hooked, but I stood firm for another 2 days until I caved to my wife and children. So, after lurking on this website for two months and reading everyone else’s builds, I’d thought I’d add mine as well J.

Ok, I’m still in the early stages here. I’ve had two initial meetings with different PB’s and boy were they polar opposites:

PB1 – Reputable company and has done some builds for others on the forum. Comes in with the usual pleasantries. Then immediately out back and start discussing what I’d like to see. Some walking around and looking at what needs to be done, but he’s done and out the door within 30 minutes saying he’ll get back to me.

PB2 – Also reputable company and has done builds for others on the forum. Comes in with the usual pleasantries. However, he wants to sit and discuss needs first. Pulls out computer and iPad, scans in survey while sitting there and we basically start designing. My wife and I are swiping pictures on the iPad and giving comments while he is basically doing some sketching. We spent nearly an hour doing before he headed out back. He took measurements and pictures and we set up our follow up appointment right then and there.

I’m going to look at more quotes, but I was blown away by PB2 compared to the first person. Now, in all fairness to PB1, I liked one of their model pools and basically said I want to see the same thing. Still though, I would have figured some standardization on sales pitch.

Anyways, here’s the current state of the backyard. A somewhat tight fit with a lot of stuff to be removed.

Backyard Before 1.jpg

Got to sell the kids playset that I built out of cedar myself (kinda sad).

Backyard Before 2.jpg

Anyone want a free hot tub? The dang thing keeps breaking on me and I’m tired of replacing part after part. The bar on the other hand…that baby is staying! Just need to find a spot.

I should have my first prelim design this week and will keep the thread updated as things pop up. Should be fun!

Welcome to TFP! I look forward to following along!

There is no cure for pool building obsession, as you've found out. Our event that planted the seed was a long weekend family party out of town at folks with a pool. Ugh!! But it's all good. Awesome in fact. It is amazing the variety of approaches PB's use. One thing that seems to be very common though is people who can build very good pools but who have much less ability to run a business which is enjoyable to work with. The PB selection process is so important.

You are in good shape having found TFP at this stage. I too found it early and it was a blessing. I still managed to get a thing or two wrong but that's going to happen. It's about getting as many things as right as possible...and addressing the others as they arise.

You certainly have plenty of TFP neighbors who will be along to say Hi!

Well welcome to TFP Shuck...that was an excellent intro BTW. Please share all the details on your pool build including equipment and then create a signature line with details. Being comfortable with your PB is crucial as you go thru this process! Seems to me PB2 impressed you but don't be too quick to judge...its not the presentation as much as the communication ability...my humble opinion. Looking forward to seeing your build so congrats!

Welcome Shuck!

We moved to Fort Worth from Frisco and we did the same as you... we loved our house too much after looking at buying a house with a pool so decided to build one at our house. We just finished getting the gunite today! Pictures are on my thread (link is in my signature if you want to take a look).

Looking forward to following your pool build!

HI! WOW! Off to a great start as far as I am concerned! Pics and a great write up! This will be a fun one to help on!

Okay lets play "Pick the builder". Ask for references to each ones last 3 builds AND go visit them. Ask "Would you have them build you anther pool?" and see what happens and where it goes. THEN ask for a couple of builds 2+yrs old and see if they needed any warranty work and how it went.

Forget the "toys" PB2 brought. Lets wait to see the details in each design AND how they handle changes and questions. That will also be very telling.

Kim:kim:

We're in Frisco as well and used Robertson. Loved them and they ended up doing two of our neighbors as well after they did ours. Luckily we have a lot of good builders in this area!

We're at 423 and Stonebrook parkway, where are you at?

Wow, I appreciate all the welcomes and responses already! Once I made the decision to move forward and never have had a pool, you sit there and say yourself "how the heck can I do this?" Luckily this site pops up on searches pretty quick. Ok, on to some fun stuff:

It's been a crazy couple of days at work, but I managed to meet with PB2 yesterday afternoon and here's the design after some tweaking.

rsz_toton_001.jpg

rsz_toton_002.jpg

rsz_toton_003.jpg

rsz_1toton_004.jpg

Will start "diving" into details in the next post, but here's where are. My wife and I love going to the Caribbean, so we want to bring as much island life to the house as possible. We originally thought about only doing a hole on the table for an umbrella, but after some thought, you can't feel like you're down in Caribbean without a palapa!! Needless to say I was really impressed with the design.

We originally wanted a slide behind the grotto, but PB2 said that we are too site constrained to really put one in...bummer. So, I expanded the grotto to a 3' overhang. Speaking of which, what's everyone's impression on grottos these days? It seems to be the soup du jour for pool amenities and I like them, but my wife can take it or leave it. Also, according to the PB, if we go more than 3', he'll need to do "fake" rock instead and he's not a fan, not to mention the cost is high.

As it stands right now with everything we are just about at my max budget before any negotiation. Another question, being in North Texas, BP's are definitely on the busier side with all the folks moving here. How much should I expect in the form of any concessions from the PB, 5%...10%? Sadly if you want to buy a home here, offering list price may not even win the day.

Here are the details from PB2

-3.5’ to 5’ to 4’
-26’ X 20’ free form gunite
-14,300 gallons
-Jandy 60 SqFt DE Filter with Sight Glass on Backwash line to P-Trap
-Jandy 2.0Hp Variable Speed Circulation Pump
-Aqua Pure Automatic Salt Chlorine System
-Jandy PDA PS6 Controller
-Jandy JXi400 Natural Gas Heater 400,000 BTU
-Polaris 3900 Complete with booster pump
-1.5 HP Stealth Booster pump
-580 SF of travertine pavers
-5 Returns, 2 Skimmers
-A&A Top to Bottom plus Circulation system
-Powerclean ultra in-line chlorinator
-Multicolor LED lights 2 in pool 1 in spa
-iAqualink iq20A and Nature 2 Fusion
-Polaris 220V 1.5Hp blower
-8 jets in the spa with captains chair

Spa elevation is 18 inches above the pool (my yard slopes away)

1 PVC fountain and 2 sheer decent fountains

PB to brush the plaster for first week

Funding:
-35% at start of excavation
-30% at start of gunite
-30% at start of coping
-5% at pool interior

I did like that the PB mentioned ozone oxidizer and UV, buuut kind of left it open if I wanted it. I, of course, said no.

Make sure all exact equipment model numbers are in your contract. Also make sure you know exactly what you want before you sign. Once you sign, all the power transfers to the PB. This includes having them draw out the pool on the ground before you sign. We did not and ended up making some changes to the tune of $3k. Equipment changes cost us another $5k. So far we are at $10k over contract price.

Consider checking BBB for your builder and read ALL comments left for them. We did not and after I signed the contract and read them, I might have changed my mind about the PB.

It looks like there are 3 chlorinators in your list. Odd but I am new at this too. The FusionSoft I was warned away from. Look at Jandy's website to see all of the offerings for some reason PBs don't give you all the options that are out there.

Also my research showed a cartridge filter was better than a sand/DE. Less maintenance and better filtration.

Not in your list but I assume you have floor drains. Consider "deep heat returns". That allows the pool to heat faster.

Jandy has a wireless, waterproof remote control for turning on/off things like fountains, get it! Also make sure all valves are Jandy never-lubes.

Also: Get this! It is SO cool!

Amazon.com: Brinno Construction Time Lapse Camera Bundle BCC100 + Smartec Camera Bag + KIT: Electronics

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
that's a sweet pool!

what's that a&A top to bottom thing? a bottom return to push hot water up when heating? if so make sure it's a dedicated return. not reversing the bottom drain like some companies do. you want those bottom drains to be homer with nothing else going on wit them.

salt and inline chlorinator. i assume the puck unit for when u go away? make sure the andy is just salt. not that natura system.

looks awesome though! awesome!

- - - Updated - - -

Also: Get this! It is SO cool! [URL="https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0721CKMY2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1" said:
Amazon.com: Brinno Construction Time Lapse Camera Bundle BCC100 + Smartec Camera Bag + KIT: Electronics[/URL]

That camera is sweet. How often do you need to change the batteries?

Whats up with PB #1??

So met with PB1 yesterday afternoon and went through his presentation. He provided EVERYTHING we asked for. Grotto, slide, table, etc. At first glance it looked very impressive. However, here's where we started to go off the rails.

-Almost $9k higher than PB2
-Like you see, my backyard is on the smaller side, so by adding a slide it reduces the width of the pool to 14.5'!!! PB2 has a width of 20' without a slide.
-Hot tub on the opposite side of what I told him in first meeting. Not a big issue, but still take notes.
-Grotto is much smaller than PB2 in order to accommodate slide.
-I said salt, but presented chlorine. Salt is a must for the wife and kids.....add another $1,600
-Robot can't get into all areas of the pool which means scrubbing on my end OR adding the pop-up cleaning ports....add another $6,000 (included in PB2's pricing)
-Concrete pavers in PB1 quote vs travertine pavers in PB2 quote. Travertine just looks better. Unknown cost to change to travertine.
-Pushed the UV lamp...told him no, but saves maybe $400

In the end PB1 is going to be a solid $15k+ higher. Eliminating the slide would save about $4k, but that's it. I'll post PB1's renderings and equipment list when he e-mails it to me. I'm really not trying to bash PB1, he's a nice enough guy, but when I left their office yesterday I couldn't tell if I was buying a pool or a Buick....

- - - Updated - - -

that's a sweet pool!

what's that a&A top to bottom thing? a bottom return to push hot water up when heating? if so make sure it's a dedicated return. not reversing the bottom drain like some companies do. you want those bottom drains to be homer with nothing else going on wit them.

salt and inline chlorinator. i assume the puck unit for when u go away? make sure the andy is just salt. not that natura system.

looks awesome though! awesome!

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty cool stuff. AA Manufacturing

Robot won't be able to clean all the nooks and crannies, so these are basically pop up jets to keep the flat surfaces clean (bench around the palapa and grotto and tanning ledge). Otherwise I'll be doing a fair amount of scrubbing.

Definitely not natura system, basically picks up the slack once pool temp drops below 50-60 degrees and the salt can't produce chlorine.

Thanks though! We're excited.

So PB #2 seems to be a solid choice and good you at least checked PB 1. Keep us all up to date and best wishes on your build...

The Nature 2 Fusion is not regarded very well around here. It puts minerals into your water which you don't want or need. What you want is just a salt water chlorine generator and not a salt and mineral cell. Make sure your SWCG is sized 2-3x for your pool size. The less it has to work the more years you'll get out of it.

oh i didn't know that's what it was called. its a floor system.
jim

So met with PB1 yesterday afternoon and went through his presentation. He provided EVERYTHING we asked for. Grotto, slide, table, etc. At first glance it looked very impressive. However, here's where we started to go off the rails.

-Almost $9k higher than PB2
-Like you see, my backyard is on the smaller side, so by adding a slide it reduces the width of the pool to 14.5'!!! PB2 has a width of 20' without a slide.
-Hot tub on the opposite side of what I told him in first meeting. Not a big issue, but still take notes.
-Grotto is much smaller than PB2 in order to accommodate slide.
-I said salt, but presented chlorine. Salt is a must for the wife and kids.....add another $1,600
-Robot can't get into all areas of the pool which means scrubbing on my end OR adding the pop-up cleaning ports....add another $6,000 (included in PB2's pricing)
-Concrete pavers in PB1 quote vs travertine pavers in PB2 quote. Travertine just looks better. Unknown cost to change to travertine.
-Pushed the UV lamp...told him no, but saves maybe $400

In the end PB1 is going to be a solid $15k+ higher. Eliminating the slide would save about $4k, but that's it. I'll post PB1's renderings and equipment list when he e-mails it to me. I'm really not trying to bash PB1, he's a nice enough guy, but when I left their office yesterday I couldn't tell if I was buying a pool or a Buick....

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty cool stuff. AA Manufacturing

Robot won't be able to clean all the nooks and crannies, so these are basically pop up jets to keep the flat surfaces clean (bench around the palapa and grotto and tanning ledge). Otherwise I'll be doing a fair amount of scrubbing.

Definitely not natura system, basically picks up the slack once pool temp drops below 50-60 degrees and the salt can't produce chlorine.

Thanks though! We're excited.

PB1 has finally surfaced...well at least with renderings.

Toton 1.jpg

Toton 2.jpg

Toton 3.jpg

Like I said earlier, my first impressions were wow, this is a nice pool. But, as I continued to look at each design, you can really see the difference in size.

Comparison.jpg

PB1's design (bottom) takes the focus off the pool and puts it on the slide. If you are building a pool, it seems to me that you want the pool to be the focus....not the features. And of course the cost being $15k higher when comparing apples to apples is a little frustrating. Anyways, my mind has been made up for a while obviously, so PB2 it is! Now time to cut a deal.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.