Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question on daily FC testing

1. Back To Top    #1

Question on daily FC testing

Once my pool is balanced and crystal clear, what is the process for daily chlorine testing?

I'm assuming everyone isn't doing the FAS-DPD test every single day or you would blast through the powder in no time. I have the TF100 test kit. Do I just use the K1000 kit that has the two cylinders to test TC and pH daily?
    18' round AG vinyl | avg. 3'9" deep | ~7,600 gallons
    Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter, Model S166T | Hayward 1hp Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question on daily FC testing

yep, if it's yellow to deep yellow you are good. if it's pale yellow to colorless you need chlorine or have a problem, break out the big kit. If it's orange to brown (and you are not shocking) your chlorine too high and you have a problem, break out the big kit!
    Test with the big kit weekly.
    In the beginning, until you really get to know your pool and how much chlorine it normally consumes you might want to double check the small TC test with the FAS-DPD test. This way you will also see what shade of yellow corresponds to your normal target chlorine level.

3. Back To Top    #3

That's great advice. Never would have thought of this. Thanks!!
    23K gal IG pool, Crystal Stone finish, 2.0HP Pentair Whisperflow pump, 200 sq. ft cartridge filter, Intellichlor SWG, Ultra Pure Ozinator, AquaCal H120 heat pump, Pentair Great White cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

I hope you're not using the paddle end of the blue spoon to scoop out powder...?
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by reebok
    I hope you're not using the paddle end of the blue spoon to scoop out powder...?
    um... gulp. yes I am. I'm using the wider paddle end. I take it I'm supposed to use the smaller circular end by your comment??

6. Back To Top    #6

that would be correct :)
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by cpjolicoeur
    Quote Originally Posted by reebok
    um... gulp. yes I am. I'm using the wider paddle end. I take it I'm supposed to use the smaller circular end by your comment??
    Don't worry, I'm laughing with you...several on here have admitted to that mistake.

Dave
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

8. Back To Top    #8

when the paddle end said "hold above this line" I guess I interpreted that in the wrong direction

9. Back To Top    #9

I hereby confess to having used the paddle end....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com