New Build Fort Worth

bradly26

Gold Supporter
Jul 14, 2017
Fort Worth, Texas
We finally got our permit and are moving forward with our pool. This will be my first pool to maintain and I'm looking forward to it. We break ground on the 7th. I will post pictures as the project moves forward. Going to add a few of our pool design.

Finally started digging the 7th of August.

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

1502117654119571051549459513581.jpg

Yes ma'am, that is a grotto in 8' of water and what the PB called a tequila table. My wife saw this at a house we were looking to buy and had to have it in our pool. She would rather relax and watch the kids swim. But then again she wanted the grotto as well!!! If the rain holds off we will have construction pictures come Monday.

bradly26 that will be a nice size pool. More decking would be a big plus if it fits the budget. We added more and really glad we did. Have you decided on equipment? Filter size is important and I think you will find a lot of folks here on TFP go for the SWG (we did). What is the size and depth of your ledge with the bubblers?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
bradly26 that will be a nice size pool. More decking would be a big plus if it fits the budget. We added more and really glad we did. Have you decided on equipment? Filter size is important and I think you will find a lot of folks here on TFP go for the SWG (we did). What is the size and depth of your ledge with the bubblers?

The tanning ledge is on 6" and we're using the Jandy Pro Series Filter Cartridge 580 SF. Would have went SWG but we were told it's hard on the stone. I know we're using Oklahoma Flagstone and I'm not exactly sure what the grotto or weeping wall rocks are. The designer said I could go salt but would have to sign a waiver.

I asked my designer about the type of rocks the weeping wall and grotto are made of and he told me it was moss rock boulders. If I decided to go with an SWG will the Oklahoma Flagstone and Moss Rock Boulders deteriorate from the salt?

bradly26 I will ask some of the more experienced and technical folks to chime in on the SWG and effect on stone. My understanding is that if you seal the stone at after build out and then at the beginning of swim season and at the end of swim season (twice a year) you should be fine. The cost of sealing the stone is not expensive and can be done by you easily.

From my research the benefit of SWG is a much easier pool to maintain...

That is a question often asked. The answer is that saltwater doesn't deteriorate flagstone and moss rock any faster than non-saltwater. That is false and an excuse pool builders use to avoid warranty claims. It is also not well known that all pools have salt in them. All forms of chlorine (bleach, dichlor, trichlor, etc) add salt and so does muriatic acid, tap water and people swimming in the pool. Most pools have 1000-1500 ppm of salt in them after a couple of years. Saltwater pools have 2800-3500 ppm of salt. Human tears have 9000 ppm of salt. The ocean has 35,000 ppm of salt.

My OK flagstone coping looks pretty much the same as it did when it was installed in 2012 and my pool has been a saltwater pool the whole time, one year (2013) I messed up and got my salt level up above 5000 ppm, I didn't have to add any salt for a long time. I also know folks with flagstone coping/decking and non-saltwater pools whose flagstone is flaking. I also have flagstone on paths away from the pools and some of it has flaked and some has not. So, it is critical to select the right type of flagstone to avoid flaking. It is pretty easy to tell by looking which flagstone is prone to flaking off and which is not. The layers are pretty obvious from the edges. I also have more info and pics in my pool thread, link in sig.

I second everything PoolDV said. We are getting flagstone coping and SWCG and our PB is the one who suggested both. So not all pool builders are against both. From what I understand that’s pretty rare here in Texas. So I’m glad we chose well because SWCG was a must with my super sensitive skin.

Our next door neighbor also has boulder waterfall with flagstone coping and SWCG. He has had his pool for 10 years and has had zero issues with corrosion. And he has never sealed his flagstone.

I second everything PoolDV said. We are getting flagstone coping and SWCG and our PB is the one who suggested both. So not all pool builders are against both. From what I understand that’s pretty rare here in Texas. So I’m glad we chose well because SWCG was a must with my super sensitive skin.

Our next door neighbor also has boulder waterfall with flagstone coping and SWCG. He has had his pool for 10 years and has had zero issues with corrosion. And he has never sealed his flagstone.

Going to meet my designer and have it added in. Supposed to dig Monday but it's supposed to rain!!!

Thanks for the input.

bradly26 next summer when your pool is so easy to care for hopefully you will look back and smile....good job!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.