A Cover for the SOLAR POOL COVER?

dpool

Sep 20, 2007
Okay - so I've built my own SOLAR COVER reel and actually have a place on the side of the fence to STORE the rolled up cover but it's just as easy to leave the 'reeled-up' cover on the pool. This means it's exposed in the sun - like when it's ON the pool.

So, I've seen and heard about covers that you put OVER your SOLAR COVERS - what's up with that? Are they absolutely necessary? What's the harm if you don't COVER the COVER?

dpool

If the cover is rolled up and has the sun beating on it during the day, the heat can (at minimum) make the bubbles on the bottom of the cover pop, and at worst, melt the cover slightly.

My cover is quite large and I usually move it into the shade during the day. I realize that not everyone has shade, of course. :)

If you don't want to spend the money on a cover for the cover, you could always throw an old, light colored bed sheet over it.

unless you have one of the high tech black/silver solar covers, there's really no need - we are in the scorching sun every day - there is no shade near the pool, I've never had issues with my cover and the first one (a 3r) lasted 6 years and is only breaking down because th last 2 wintrs I left it on the roller and every spring the birds would try and build nests in the ends and peck at it.

matt4x4 said:
unless you have one of the high tech black/silver solar covers, there's really no need - we are in the scorching sun every day - there is no shade near the pool, I've never had issues with my cover and the first one (a 3r) lasted 6 years and is only breaking down because th last 2 wintrs I left it on the roller and every spring the birds would try and build nests in the ends and peck at it.

I have had mine out in the yard for three weeks now...I put on once since then...There has been no issue with melting or anything...but then it hasn't been above 85 in three weeks either. But it has been sunny...I would think in extreme temps it might be bad...but it really is up to you...They tell you cover with something white that reflects the sun. Haven't done that in two years.

Beave

My husband and I have been wondering about this since spring when we had to replace our cover. Has anyone actually known of one that melted or popped, or is it an old wives' tale?

We took the best care of ours we possibly could have, keeping it in the shade 99.7% of the time and it only lasted 3 summers. I think it was an 8ml. We're thinking about rigging up some type of roller, but it would be in the sun all day, being attached to the side of the pool. I think we could cover it with a white sheet or something most of the time, unless it blew off in high winds.

I wonder which is harder on it, being in the sun, or being in bleach year after year.

Every "solar" cover that I have bought (I'm on my third) came with a white sheet of thin plastic that is supposed to be used to cover the cover when it is exposed to sun. I didn't use it on my first 2, one lasted about 3 seasons, the next only a season and a half. I'm trying it on this third one. You just lay it over and secure it (I use the cover pull lines and just wrap it around a few times.

It definitely seems to keep the cover cooler.

Thanks for the info - I'm for the 'old sheet' solution - now ... to find one I'm willing to sacrifice to the POOL.

I haven't completely finished the SOLAR COVER REEL yet. Still need to figure how to pull it across the pool evenly and 'effortlessly' without it going underwater on the way - I see where having an ABOVE GROUND POOL causes a DISADVANTAGE in this ONE area.

Need to think about this some more ... .

dpool

You can find a sheet of plastic at any harware store. Just measure the length and then they can usually cut it to the size you want. I just bought mine at menards, its called landscapping plastice, and it works great. I then used some bungee cord and just wrap it around the reel and it holds it perfectly. I put a plastic hook on the end of it it. I bought a 100 foot of the bungee cord and just cut it to size. Should last me for years.

My cover last year did melt a bit and the bubbles did snap so I always cover it up as I have no shade.

Works Great! Hope that helps. :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.