I think I screwed up a buddies pool

Jun 16, 2009
I am a first time pool owner, but with the help of this forum, my new test kit and many gallons of bleach I was able to turn our newly inherited 30000 IG liner pool into a sparkling oasis. It was a black swamp of death when we first opened it.

With my new found confidence I set out to help a buddy, who purchased a above ground pool. He filled it with water from the farm we work at. He complained of the water becoming dirty yellowish and the chemicals they were buying from the pool store not really helping. I felt like superman and told him we were going to fix it asap with a couple of gallons of 12.5 % chlorine we use to clean equipment on the farm. Without testing and without verifying the amount of chlorine or the size with the pool with the pool calculator I poured two gallons in the pool (he thought it was around 12000 gallons) then had him repeat this 6 hours later before bed. When I poured the first two gallons in the water went from cloudy very weak tea color to a coffee with cream color. I went from barely seeing the bottom at four feet to only being able to see about a foot into the pool. I was pleased because I figure the chlorine was really duking it out with the organics and the algae. I took a water sample pre treatment, so I went home with that to test and told him to sock another 2 gallons to it just before he went to bed.
Test results on pre shock water

FC 2.5
CC .5
TC 3
pH 7.2
TA 90
CYA 20

I talked to him this morning and he reports no change in color or cloudyness. My experience with bleach was each time I added I expected to have some positive change. I got nervous and started asking some more questions. Seems as if he told me the water was pretty much tea colored from day one, which I thought was something that developed post fill (guess I wasn't really listening to him I was so excited to see chlorine fix pool). Then he tells me that the pool is 15 foot round AG, so I figured it to be under 6000 gallons instead of the 12000 we orginally talked about, so our already excessively high shock was now out of the park. Then he tells me that his wife has been working with a pool store and they have used some "shock powder" (thus the CYA in his water already) and some form of metal out agent for iron.
Tonight the pool looked the same as last night. Tested FC only it was at least over 25, which is where I ran out of reagent. Did I just make this iron problem 100 times worse or what? How can I help fix it? The only metal agent we can get to in the next 48 hours is HtH metal control.

Please advise and I promise not to just willy nilly add bleach without calculating again.

Monkey Love

I had a pool turn cloudly white from using Stain X and shocking too early. I used ez clor super shimmer and shine and it dropped everything to the bottom. shimmer and shine is just your typical blue clarifier. You can attempt that to see if it works, good luck.

This was well water, then? Sounds like the chlorine reacted with the iron.

If you are very lucky, the chlorine has precipitated the iron out into particles big enough for the filter to catch, and diligent frequent cleaning will clear it up; but the last time I read about this happening, it took about a week.
--paulr

If you are very lucky, the chlorine has precipitated the iron out into particles big enough for the filter to catch, and diligent frequent cleaning will clear it up; but the last time I read about this happening, it took about a week

I don't think I am very lucky, as the filter went from being plugged with rust colored gunk to not picking up much of anything after the addition of chlorine.

There's some chance that floc would help; it will "clump" small particles together and usually it will precipitate out onto the bottom. At that point you want to vaccuum to waste to clear it out. If your buddy's setup doesn't have a "waste" setting on the valve(s) then don't try this.

I'm getting out of my depth here, we need somebody else to chime in.
--paulr

If you can't vacume to waste, floc won't help...is this a cart filter - be sure to clean it:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/how-to-clean-a-cartridge-filter-t4465.html

Clarifier won't help either. :hammer:

It will just take time to filter out the iron, which sounds like it did precipitate out into rust particles. Keep filtering brushing, etc., it should eventually clear up....if you can get some Jack's Magic Stuff or Sequasol, those are good sequesterant products....

Bump....

I still don't entirely understand why sometimes the Iron precipitates out and sometimes it doesn't.

I don't think your's is considered "in solution" and I'm not sure if you should use a "metal Magic" product or a sequesterant I listed above.

Hopefully the REAL experts will weigh in.... :wink:

It would be good to get a CH level. It does sound mostly like an iron problem, but the milky/cream part of the description could be calcium clouding.

With CYA around 20, the FC level will fall fairly quickly, two days tops. As FC falls, any coloring/cloudiness from either iron or calcium will at least partly clear up. In the mean time, clarifier might help speed things up, though it probably isn't really necessary.

Monkeylove said:
With my new found confidence I set out to help a buddy, who purchased a above ground pool. He filled it with water from the farm we work at. He complained of the water becoming dirty yellowish and the chemicals they were buying from the pool store not really helping.

I would like to know what pool store chemicals were added before you began with chlorine... it may tell us more about what you are seeing now. Just a guess, still a novice myself!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I found out they were using Bioguards "Pool magnet Plus" and "Sparkle up" before I jumped in and made it worse. I am still unsure why the chlorine stopped the whole process. It has been five days and the filter still isn't really pulling any of the iron out. There is a cloud of particulate that is settling to the bottom. I am going to vacuum the mess in the morning.

Pool is looking better but still very milky brown color. FC has just now came down to 5...CYA must have been higher than what I got with my test. Did the CH today and it came out to 330. Do I have a calcium problem?

Thanks

Just read some other internet forum where people are promoting dumping oxygen bleach into iron water pools and them clearing from that treatment. What do you all think. I have a oxygen bleach product called Stain Solver (peroxyhydrated carbonate of soda. That's a fancy name for a special dried hydrogen peroxide and soda ash.) that claims to be 100% pure with no fillers as compared to other brands of oxygen bleach products. What do you think of this idea? Sounds a little fishy to me, but wanted to talk to others who might have acutally been paying attention during chem class.

Monkeylove said:
I found out they were using Bioguards "Pool magnet Plus" and "Sparkle up" before I jumped in and made it worse. I am still unsure why the chlorine stopped the whole process. It has been five days and the filter still isn't really pulling any of the iron out. There is a cloud of particulate that is settling to the bottom. I am going to vacuum the mess in the morning.

Well, I'm not familiar with those products, so without knowing the directions, can't say if chlorine played a role or not. The first, a metal stain preventative, the second a clarifier treatment. But according to their website, used together, they are supposed to prevent staining and remove metals from the water. It doesn't sound like they worked.

(330 is in the high end of acceptable for a plaster pool. I don't know if that's considered a problem here)

I think you should just keep using chlorine, and eventually it should clear up. I'd go ahead and get some metal sequesterant - Not one that's EDTA based - You want a sequesterant that is HEDP based (look for DEDP, Phosphonic acid derivative, or phosphonates on the label). Jacks Magic, Proteam Metal Magic, GLB Sequa Sol ...

Stick with what works, you're now thinking of trying something that could make the situation worse....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.