Have salt pool Auto Pilot..

F.C. 0.3
T.C 0.4
PH 8.0
HARDNESS 380
ALKALINITY 77
ACID 10
SALT 3200

Stains in the deep end that won't brush off..
Put in a new cell Friday... Been Superboost all weekend but today's reading only went up to 0.3 it was at zero before new cell.
Was sold a bag of Refresh at pool place today dumped that in ...
Will run pool 24hr till Thursday and see if Auto Pilot is going SOUTH
THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR THE HELP!

Hi and Welcome. :wave:

Have you read Pool School yet?

Specifically Recommended Levels and Water Balance for SWGs?

Your PH is too high, you need to get that down ASAP with Muratic Acid, to 7.4.

Then you need to shock your pool with LIQUID CHLORINE. Shocking with the SWG itself shortens the life of the cell.

If your CYA is only 10, that would explain the problem - you need your CYA to be about 70 for the unit to function properly.

The stains in the deepend are probably organic because you don't have any chlorine in your pool.

So after you read those two articles, move on to How to Shock your Pool and How To Perform the Overnight FC Loss test.

How are you testing your water?
Do you know how to use the Pool Calculator yet?

frustratedpoolmom said:
If your CYA is only 10, that would explain the problem - you need your CYA to be about 70 for the unit to function properly.
Not necesserily. Just because his cya is low doesnt mean thats his only issue. And..the unit will function with 0 pm CYA, however, the chlorine might not stay around very long.
Has it worked well in the past in terms of making enough chlorine? Is the low number a new occurance? Why did you replace the cell?
Just trying to get a feel for past performance and issues to trouble shoot.

Are there any warning messages or lights on the Pool Pilot? Put the unit in BOOST, take a water sample directly after the cell (loosen the union after the cell and catch some of the water leaking out) and test the chlorine in that sample. It should read about 1 - 5 ppm higher than your pool test.
Without any warning lights, it's hard to consider the Pool Pilot as "going south".

If your pool is outdoor, definately increase the CYA level to about 80 ppm.
Aside from that, lower your pH to 7.4 - 7.6.
Did you check the salt level with a test kit or is that what the unit is showing?

What have you added to your pool other than the Refresh?

I replaced the supercell -36 last Friday, because the flashing light was blinking check cell plus I had the pool guy out here to clean the cell the last weeekend in June. Due to blinking of cell light.
We've had the pool 2 1/2 years ..How long does a cell last?

The stain has been there about a good 2 months getting worse by the day.[my fault on that]
The Cholrine has been at 0 for at least 3 weeks. Kept superboost it hoping for change.
I have a pack of refresh going right know..running all nite
The guy who checks the water he hasn't steered me wrong. He worked for Jack's Magic for years.
I'll see in the a.m. if the refresh has worked!
Thanks for all your help !!!!

Lights haven't been flashing since the new cell went in...... didn't mean no harm about 'going south'
Unit showing 2900 on the salt.
Nothing added just Refresh .... I just do what they tell me !
Thanks for your help!

frustratedpoolmom said:
Your PH is too high, you need to get that down ASAP with Muratic Acid, to 7.4.

Then you need to shock your pool with LIQUID CHLORINE.

You need to properly shock the pool and correct that issue while you determine if there is a problem with your new cell. It's not going to generate the amount of chlorine you need RIGHT NOW so get some bleach or 12.5% liquid chlorine and start shocking.

(Brad, perhaps "function properly" wasn't the best choice of words. Maintain proper FC levels, maybe would be a better choice.)

Leyland, you should raise your CYA to at least 50 for now, and as you increase the CYA level, your FC/and shock levels will also rise - refer to the CYA/Chlorine chart. Once your FC is holding overnight, you can finish raising the CYA into the recommended range.

All of this can be handled manually while you determine what is happening with your cell. Ignoring your chlorine issue right now will only result in a bigger mess.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.