New Build, Cypress, TX - looking for feedback

Jul 20, 2017
Cypress
Good morning!
I have been on this site reading information for weeks now - everyone is so helpful and informative!
I just wanted to share the specs on our pool/outdoor kitchen project and get feedback. Will figure out how to upload pictures soon!! Thanks in advance!

General:
Pool/spa perimeter / 105' pool / 24' spa
Pool size 32'4" x 24'8" (widest point)
Pool depth 3.6' 3.9' 5.5'
Flagstone coping on edge
Raised spa 12" w/stacked flagstone spillway / stacked stone ledger panel face
Raised back wall - 11' x 6" / 12' x 12" / 11' x 6" - faced w/stacked stone front side only
Benches per plan / sun deck w/2 bubblers
Decking, 779 sqft new concrete, 1026 sqft spray deck on new and existing concrete

Plumbing:
Install 2 gunite skimmers
Install 6 return inlets
Install 1 dedicated Polaris cleaner line
Install 2 main drains per suction line
Install 1 - 2hp circulation pump / water feature pump / booster pump for cleaner
Install 1 - 425 sqft cartridge filter (Hayward)

Electric:
Install & hook up Hayward Prologic PS8 Controller w/digital wireless remote control touchpad
Install & hook up 1 circulation pump
Install and hook up GFCI
Install & hook up 2 color changing LED pool lights and 1 color changing LED spa light

Equipment:
1-Hayward 4030 425 sqft cartridge filter
1-Hayward 2hp circulation pump
1-Hayward 1.5hp water feature pump
1-Hayward booster cleaner pump
1-Rainbow 320 inline chlorinator
2-skimmers
6-spa jets
3-light niches
2-Hayward Colorlogic LED pool lights
1-Hayward Colorlogic LED spa light
1-Hayward prologic PS8 controller w/digital wireless remote control touchpad
3-3 way Jandy valves
3-2 way Jandy valves
1-1 Spring check valve
1-Silencer 1.5hp blower for spa
1-Hayward 400,000 natural gas heater
1-Polaris 280 pool cleaner

Interior:
Gemstone Universal Finest Finish Series - Micro Fusion pebble plaster - 15yr warranty

Hope I didn't leave anything out... :)

Nice looking pool design and kitchen! You might want to look at ditching the Polaris and going with a robot instead. If you do that, then I THINK you wouldn't need the booster pump.
How are you planning on sanitizing your pool? Chlorine or SWCG? I highly recommend a salt system for it's convenience. If you go with salt, make sure it's 2-3x the size of your pool. Bigger is better due to less wear and tear on the salt cell.

Also go big on the cartridge filter. That will mean more time between cleaning! And I'm all for less cleaning!!

Are you still in the bid process or have you selected a PB? Look forward to seeing more pics!

Okay - I replied, but I do not see it.... LOL

- - - Updated - - -

I shall try this again...
Hi Marla - Thank you! We are please with the design as well!
What is a robot? I can ask if they offer that.
Thank you for the info!

We are planning on chlorine.
For the cartridge filter - you think we should go bigger than the 425 sqft? How much bigger should we go on that? I am still learning....

Yes - we have selected our PB and couldn't be happier! Currently waiting on HOA approval and then we (they) dig!!

Will post more pictures as I take them!
Thanks again!

Hey Tiff, we're Cypress neighbors!! Welcome to TFP! :wave:

You have a beautiful pool plan! It looks like you didn't have a lot of choice, but I love how the pool is placed at the corner of your house. That looks awesome! And I see you have the hills in the background like a lot of us in Houston get as part of our pool package. :laughblue:

I'll address what I know, but you'll need to rely on the experts for the rest of your feedback.

Pool depth: 3.6' 3.9' 5.5' Are those depths about 1/3 each of the pool? If so, that's a very shallow pool. That's more than ok, if it's what you want. More and more people are going with a 4' shallow end. Others who have particular reasons (heights of the adults, non-swimmers, etc) like to keep it more shallow.

Raised back wall: I just wanted to comment that my PB wasn't as upfront about the stone installed only on the front side. That's good your PB let you know. I was disappointed to find that out when I told the stone installers they had forgotten to do the back.

Cleaner: Robots are a great way to go. I have one and love it, but my PB still installed the Polaris line in case for some reason I changed my mind. If you do decide on a robot, then you can do without the booster pump for the polaris. Save some $ and even more by not using electricity to run the pump for the cleaner.

Cartridge filter: Go up a size from the 425sf. They aren't that hard to clean, but it takes me forever, and I need help opening up the housing, etc. A larger one would keep you from doing it as often. I can go about 6-9 months cleaning my cartridges since I up-sized.

Pumps: Make sure your 2hp circulation pump is either a 2-speed or variable speed (vs) pump. The single-speed pump will cost more in electricity to run. I have a 2-speed pump, but from what I read from others, I wish I had the vs pump. If you don't know, ask your PB for the model number, and we'll help you find it.

Rainbow inline Chlorinator: That holds the pucks or chlorination tablets. If you're planning to maintain your pool water on your own, you won't need the Rainbow. Pucks eventually cause problems for your water chemistry in the long term. On the other hand, if the main pool person of the family travels a lot, the Rainbow can be good to have using the pucks for a relatively short time. (couple of weeks or less at a time)

You did a great job listing your equipment! You're going to love the color LED lights. And the spa blower will really make your spa rumble!!! (I have a blower, also)

I like your list from the PB. If you don't mind, would you send me a Private Message, and let me know the name of your PB? We ask members keep that info off the posts, but it's allowed through PMing. I try to keep a list of PB's in the north and nw part of Houston for new members searching for a PB. Thanks!

Let us know any and all questions. Everyone learns that way!

Again, welcome, and take care,
Suz :sun:

Hi Suz!
Hi Neighbor!!!
Thank you! We did not have much choice with the placement - it could be shift a bit... which we may do, but I love the design! HAHA - the hills crack me up!

Pool Depth - We want the 5.5' to be the back/middle of the pool (if that even makes sense) so when the kiddos jump of the wall it is deep enough. Then I assume the 3.6/3.9 near the spa then the other end as well.

Raised back wall - I have seen where they do the spray deck on the back wall, which I am fine with... no one will see the stone anyways and landscaping will cover it :)

Cleaner - I will have to ask about the robot. Clueless what that is compared to the Polaris line. Is the robot what moves around the pool? I assumed that is what we were getting.

Cartridge filter - What is the next size up for the cartridge filter? What do you have? I will definitely ask about this as well - thank you!

Pumps - interesting - I will have to look into this as well. I am pretty sure I have the model number of everything. I just didn't include all of those numbers/letters on my original posting :)

Rainbow inline Chlorinator - We are planning on having the company clean the pool and maintain it. My husband works way too much - so this is the best option for us. Again good info b/c seeing this stuff on paper didn't mean very much to me!

Thank you! Excited for the lights and ready to use the spa!

I will PM you!
Thanks again!!!!

Your best option for chlorinating is a Salt Water Chlorine Generator. If you use pucks, maintained by a weekly pool service, you will be back on the forum next summer with algae that won't go away and your pool service saying you have 'chlorine lock' and need to drain the pool.

The use of a SWCG still needs monitoring. All pools do. Up to daily for chlorine and pH, less often for the other chemistry tests.

Good luck.

Welcome to TFP...Suz has offered up some very good thoughts. Pool does seem very shallow and I would certainly give a lot of thought to it!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Great looking design. The more I read about the SWG' I may add one in the future but most of the pool builders I talked to don't like them here in Houston. This was mentioned by someone else in a different post as well.

We we started with a traditional pool as well and went with the sports pools to get that jumping wall in the middle. I have picture of the build in my signature. It's going to be 4-6.5-4. I wanted it deeper in the middle and sacrificed about 2 feet of shallow end.

Thank you for the information everyone!
This weekend we were at a community pool and one of the depths was 3.6 and I thought OMG this is way too shallow!! Yes, it was nice b/c my kiddos could stand up - however... they aren't getting any shorter :) I think I like the idea of 4ft being the most shallow that we go... the 5.5 wasn't going to necessarily be in the middle of the pool, but the back part near the wall. My thought was if the kids jumped off the wall that depth should be good for them.

I plan to ask about the pump that Suz mentioned - b/c it is a one speed pump.
Also, plan to ask my PB about the robot.

Waiting HOA's approval - then it is DIG TIME!

Still waiting to hear back from our lovely HOA (Wednesday will be two weeks since they received our paperwork) - Impatient is an understatement! I am ready to get this show on the road!
Any feedback on our pool info is greatly appreciated!

On your outdoor kitchen use caution with outdoor fridge. The Texas heat has a tendency to overwork them so you will be replacing often. Im sure where its placed and how much sun will effect the area are main issues. I have had neighbors who are on there second and third units and the just don't get things very cold...

On your outdoor kitchen use caution with outdoor fridge. The Texas heat has a tendency to overwork them so you will be replacing often. Im sure where its placed and how much sun will effect the area are main issues. I have had neighbors who are on there second and third units and the just don't get things very cold...

I have definitely thought about that - no doubt that Texas heat is no joke! The frig that I have looked at has good reviews - but not sure those reviews are from Texas owners :) Thank you for the feedback!!

That design fits the yard nicely. Depending on your builder they may not want to move away from the Polaris or to a vs pump. We upgraded to a robot and paid the difference. The PB did put in a line for a pump in case in the future we decided to go backwards to a Polaris type pool cleaner.

heres a link that shows some robots. They basically are self contained, think of a roomba for your pool. Not sure if these are the "top 10" but it will give you an idea on price. 10 Best Robotic Pool Cleaners

One thing to consider is light placement you really don't want them to be shining at you. Where is the builder planning on putting the pool lights?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.