Hayward Pump Humming/Buzzing

anj109

Jul 28, 2017
Philadelphia
Ok, so I did a lot of research before and found that it's most likely the capacitor. So I ordered one of those after researching the correct one I would need, replaced it and my pump is still humming and then after about 5 seconds it trips the breaker. I replaced the wiring on the capacitor in what I thought was the same connectors on the new capacitor. Would the new capacitor not work if I didn't have it wired correctly?

Another thing, we leave our pump on all day while we are at work. When I first noticed the pump not working was when I came home from work. Could this even be a bad capacitor if it turned off during they day when the pump had already been running for a while?

I also tried sticking a a metal clothes hanger with a little hook on the end in to the impeller opening to see if there was any debris and I wasn't pulling anything out.

Is there anything else I can do before I have to order a new motor? My pool is getting a lot of algae so I would like to get this thing working as soon as possible.

The pump is a Hayward 1hp Superpump model # C48K2N143B1

If I need a new motor, can someone help me out with which one I need?

Thanks!!

Welcome to the forum!

Another possibility is frozen bearings. If you try to spin the motor shaft, is there a lot of resistance?

If you would like to go with a two speed motor, this is a good one:

https://www.amazon.com/AO-Smith-STS1072R-Nema-C-Flange/dp/B003XNEII6

Btw, to prevent algae, you can manually dose a pool and use a pool brush to mix it in.

Thanks! I'm at work but will have to try to spin the motor shaft when I get home. Might run home on my lunch break.

Quick question with the two speed motor, what is the point of this? I know the low speed saves you money but when would I run the low speed and when would I run the high speed? And how do you change it from low to high? Is there a switch?

Can you recommend just a direct replacement for the one I have now as well? And do I need anything else (gaskets, etc) to install?

Thanks again!

So do you think the 2 speed is worth it if I run my pump for about 8 to 10 hours a day, every day?

How do you change the speeds on the pump? And when would you run the low speed vs the high speed?

Thanks a lot mas, really appreciate the help!

I have one so, yes, I think it is worth it. You will recoup the extra cost in very little time.

How do you change the speeds on the pump?
You can request a manual switch on the back of the motor or purchase a two speed timer for auto switching. It depends on your own needs. Are you running a pool cleaner?

And when would you run the low speed vs the high speed?
I run on low most of the time. I just use high speed when I want a quick surface clean of the pool.

Nope, no pool cleaner. I have an aquabot (although that things been giving me trouble lately too). I have an inground 32x16 that goes from 8 foot to 4 foot so about 23k gallons. Running on low speed will do the trick most of the time you think?

So the switch doesn't come with the motor automatically? Do you have a link to one I'd have to purchase in order to switch it fairly easily?

Thanks!!

It looks like most re-sellers are selling them separately now. I think it is because many states are going to higher energy efficiency standards so require a timer with the motor. I can't seem to find any information on Pennsylvania though.

But at close the cost of both the motor and switch:

A.O. Smith 3/4 H.P Round Flange Dual Speed Full Rate Motor - STS1072R - INYOPools.com

A.O. Smith End Cover Switch Assembly (1011431-001) - INYOPools.com

You may want to call them and see if they have a motor with the switch already.

You could just get a VS motor with a built in timer:

A.O. Smith 1.65 HP Variable Speed Pool Pump Motor Round Flange - ECM16CU - INYOPools.com

Just another option.

Thank you so much mas! Not sure that VS motor would fit in my current location because i have about 3 or 4 more inches of clearance till i hit the wall behind my pump (it's inside a pool shed). If it won't fit, I think I will go with this energy efficient replacement A.O. Smith 1 H.P Pool Motor Energy Efficient Round Flange - UCT1102 - INYOPools.com

Quick question, is it possible to switch the motors without having to remove the rest of the pump housing from the piping? I would have to cut my piping (hopefully don't have to do this) to remove my whole pump housing.

Quick question, is it possible to switch the motors without having to remove the rest of the pump housing from the piping?
Yes, the motor should slide out of the wet end when the bolts are removed.

SP26.JPG

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, great. Thanks everyone!! That's what they said as well. They also said I would barely notice a difference in energy consumption between the 2 as well.

And I asked them about the energy efficiency because the UCT is marketed as "energy efficient" but they said that all motors are energy efficient these days. Is this just a marketing ploy by INYO? Here is that one A.O. Smith 1 H.P Pool Motor Energy Efficient Round Flange - UCT1102 - INYOPools.com

Ok, so just got done replacing the motor. Starts up great and sounds awesome but I'm not getting suction it seems like. I left it on for like 10 minutes and the basket is still not filling up. Don't see any of the water moving from the skimmer and barely any water is coming out of the out take pipe in to the pool.

Any ideas on what I might be missing or doing wrong? The only thing I didn't replace was the housing gasket because the new one they gave me was a tad bit too large. So I just put the old one back in which still looked like it was good anyways.

Please help! Thanks!

Sounds like pump is not priming.

Did you fill the pump basket with water before turning on?

Also make sure the pump lid is tightened.

I forgot to the first time I turned it on but realized after about 5 seconds. Filled it up as high as possible and tightened the pump lid like i always do. Never had any problems with priming with the old motor. Only thing I can think of is the housing gasket but I don't see any leaks around there so would this cause that big of a suction leak?

Housing gasket is on the pressure side of the pump so water would leak out.

I would check the pump lid and drain plugs.

Did you change any valves during the replacement.

Just took the pump lid off and tightened it back on. The seal looks fine from what I can tell. It's not supposed to be loose on there right? Cause when I tried to remove it it was on there pretty good so didn't want to mess with it any more. I'm pretty sure it's the seal haha

Drain plugs are on tight, haven't touched those since I opened the pool.

Would anything else cause this with the motor assembly? The motor is on and the water in side the basket is swooshing around it just never fills up completely.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.