Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: recheck my guess!

1. Back To Top    #1

recheck my guess!

I just started the BBB. Currently I only have the walmart 6 way test (TFP test on the way!). Here are my results.

TC 2
    TA 180
    PH 7.4 (up from 6...wow, borax REALLY does work!)
    TH 500
    CYA 30 ( I am currently using stablizing tabs from bioguard until my CYA is up)

My pool is getting clearer by the day. It is just a bit cloudy right now! I have read pool school on algae and had previously fought algae so I guess I need to get and keep it to shock level. Even though I only know my TC, and not my FC, I still tried to use the calculator. If I understood it correctly, I need to add 308 oz of bleach tonight. The calculator recommended that I also add 18 oz stabilizer, however I still have bioguard tabs in the floaty thingy so I don't quite know what to do now. Any suggestions? It is 5:30 here and the kids are busy, so I can devote some time to the pool now.
    thanks!
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: recheck my guess!

Hey, Theresa,

Welcome to the forum.

1. I would suggest simply using the tabs (pucks) to chlorinate 'til your test kit arrives.

2. While you're waiting, stock up on bleach....a lot more than you think.......probably around 15 of the large jugs. (I know, I know)

3. When your kit arrives, post the test results (ph, TA, FC, CC, CH and CYA) we'll advise you to start using the clorox....you'll be surprised at how much it takes but you'll be equally surprised when you see how sparkling clear your pool water will soon be.

The puck will continue to add cYA (as you know) and chlorine to provide protection for your pool. The shock process with the clorox is what will clear it all the way up. You can always use any remaining jugs of clorox for normal maintenance so you can't buy too many.

You will be able to perform the entire shock process in early AM and evenings so you can work around the children pretty easily. (Are they old enough to swim?) The idea is to do this all in one fell swoop (couple of days) and not let it drag out over days and days....it'll get very frustrating if you don't really attack it.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: recheck my guess!

I really appreciate the super quick response! It really means a lot to me that you are willing to reply when I'm sure you have other things to do. Yes, my kids are of swimming age 2,3,5,7,9 and 11 plus neighbor kids 8,11 and 12. That is infact why we have the pool. It was supposed to make things easier for me with my husband working out of the state most of the month! My kit will be here anyday. I will take these measures until it arrives!

a billion thanks!
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)