IG SWG on AG pool?

This site is terrific, and you people are so generous with your knowledge and experience. We are very close to making our purchases, but need help with a few questions. The important one [for us :) ] today is this: how is it that we can purchase an IG SWG for a 20K-23K AG pool - as was suggested in another thread - but should purchase a pump and filter specifically designed for an AG pool? Another forum, another time, suggested IG pumps on AG pools are not a problem. We didn't think so. Are there different plumbing/electrical considerations with a SWG?

Our plan is a 28'-30' round AG and 1h.p. 2-speed pump w/ 150 sq. ft cartridge filter. We want to use a very good SWG, but most are rated for 15K-18K AG pools.

Thanks for any advice,
Bakin' near Bakersfield

I don't see any problem with using an in-ground SWG as long as everything is getting hard wired and bonded. Bonding is absolutely essential. Hard wiring could be worked around with a competent electrician, but at that point it is simpler to switch the pump to hardwired than to convert the SWG to plugin.

Depending on how the plumbing is getting done, you may need some kind of pipe adapters, but that is all fairly standard stuff.

You want to use as pump designed for an above ground pool (as long as the pump is fairly close to the pool and below the water level), but the filter can be any kind of filter.

Thanks for the replies. Jason, do you recommend 220V over 110V for the pump and SWG combo? I thought I read in other threads that you are a "go with what you've got" guy - six of one, etc. If 220V is preferred, we can get it done - I think. If 110V is okay, we'll go with that. Thanks for your advice.

230 volts is more efficient on larger pumps, 1.5 HP or more, or when the pump is very far away from the homes main electrical panel. On smaller pumps that are less than 100 feet from the panel it really doesn't make that much of a difference. Most above ground pumps are 115 volts only, and there is no need to go out of your way to change that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.