Still shocking, but had to re-start...EDIT: Out of R-0871

graffster

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 19, 2008
I'm still working on getting the cloudiness out of my pool. Was getting on track last week when we ended up going away for 4 days. Kind of starting from square one again.

Knowing that some of my other numbers were 'off', but knowing that i need to continue shocking, i didn't do a full run of tests.

My FC is 1.0 :(
My CYA is 20 (never lost sight of the black dot) :(
pH is between 7.8 and 8.2 (8.0???)

Do I need to get CYA in there before I start shocking again???

I'm wondering if I'll ever get the hang of this...

Re: Still shocking, but had to re-start...need more help!

a bit more cya would probably help. since you're shocking I would shoot for only 30 though. the sooner you start shocking per the pool school article, the sooner it will clear up. get your ph down a bit too.

You WILL get the hang of it... and shocking is the hardest part. After that, maintenance is a breeze!

Hang in there... keep at the shock level and it will happen for you! :)

Dattia has given you accurate words of encouragement. The learning curve is quite steep. Hang with the forum and ask lots of questions. You can see how easily other folks are willing to share what they have learned about their pools. :-D

BBB - knowledge is power

Thanks! OK...but if I shoot for a CYA of 30, what do i use for Shock Level? (The CYA/Chlorine chart only goes down to 60 for SWG).

I think reebok overlooked your SWG. Probably targeting 50 would be good for now. You'll undershoot that way and then can accurately bring it up to the level you choose....I would suggest 60 to start.

I would raise the CYA to 30 while you begin shocking. Your shock level would be 12. Complete the shock process at the lower CYA level, since you need less bleach, and then when the FC holds overnight, then increase the CYA back up where it needs to be.

Shock levels are the same whether you have an SWG or not.

Thanks...I'll go for the 30, start shocking and then once we don't lose overnight, increase CYA up to 60! Sounds like a plan!!! (No beatings necessary, Reebok...I appreciate the recommendation to keep the CYA low anyway!!)

I'll keep you posted!!

:) Kathy

Plugging right along, but I've only got enough R-0871 to do one more test!!! (28 drops at a time eats it up quick!!) I'm going to order some right now, but what do I do in the meantime?? The 2 Leslies near me and the Pinch a Penny don't have it...I already called...

?????

kathy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here's what I'd do till I got more 0871. I'd take how much chlorine I put in it yesterday, do the one last test that you have enough 0871 for and use PC (pool calc) to figure how much bleach to add to keep the FC level up. Then if it's the same as yesterday or close, just keep adding that much every day till your 0871 arrives. You may raise the FC level above target a bit but as soon as you can test it you can adjust it to where it needs to be. Not a perfect solution but at least you won't slip backwards and have to start over another time.

I just had the same problem, though my shock level was > 18. So I ran out of the new reagent bottle rather quickly. I started to dilute the pool water with non-chlorinated water either 1:1 or 2:1 or even 3:1, then pour it into the test kit chamber. I would then add drops as usual and multiply by either 2 or 3 or 4, etc. You really only need to know a ballpark, as long it is at least at shock level. It extended my last little bit significantly until I got my new reagents.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.