Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Still shocking, but had to re-start...EDIT: Out of R-0871

1. Back To Top    #1

Still shocking, but had to re-start...EDIT: Out of R-0871

I'm still working on getting the cloudiness out of my pool. Was getting on track last week when we ended up going away for 4 days. Kind of starting from square one again.

Knowing that some of my other numbers were 'off', but knowing that i need to continue shocking, i didn't do a full run of tests.

My FC is 1.0
    My CYA is 20 (never lost sight of the black dot)
    pH is between 7.8 and 8.2 (8.0???)

Do I need to get CYA in there before I start shocking again???

I'm wondering if I'll ever get the hang of this...
    Sunny SW Florida! Uncaged Free-form IG pool, Pebble-tec finish, 20,000 gallons?? (Beach entry/tanning ledge is 9' x 9'; it's free form 37' x 19'. Depth 3 feet to max 5.5 feet. There's also an attached spa with spillover: 6 foot radius. Anything else?)
    Prologic computerized thingie with SWG; 1.5 hp Hayward II Super pump, cartridge (i think) filter. (Hubby contracted the whole thing...so I don't have a detailed list on what we've got!)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Still shocking, but had to re-start...need more help!

a bit more cya would probably help. since you're shocking I would shoot for only 30 though. the sooner you start shocking per the pool school article, the sooner it will clear up. get your ph down a bit too.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

3. Back To Top    #3

You WILL get the hang of it... and shocking is the hardest part. After that, maintenance is a breeze!

Hang in there... keep at the shock level and it will happen for you!
    27' round AG
    Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward S210T Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Dattia has given you accurate words of encouragement. The learning curve is quite steep. Hang with the forum and ask lots of questions. You can see how easily other folks are willing to share what they have learned about their pools.

BBB - knowledge is power
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks! OK...but if I shoot for a CYA of 30, what do i use for Shock Level? (The CYA/Chlorine chart only goes down to 60 for SWG).
    Sunny SW Florida! Uncaged Free-form IG pool, Pebble-tec finish, 20,000 gallons?? (Beach entry/tanning ledge is 9' x 9'; it's free form 37' x 19'. Depth 3 feet to max 5.5 feet. There's also an attached spa with spillover: 6 foot radius. Anything else?)
    Prologic computerized thingie with SWG; 1.5 hp Hayward II Super pump, cartridge (i think) filter. (Hubby contracted the whole thing...so I don't have a detailed list on what we've got!)

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I think reebok overlooked your SWG. Probably targeting 50 would be good for now. You'll undershoot that way and then can accurately bring it up to the level you choose....I would suggest 60 to start.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

yes yes another less-than-rookie mistake.
    I think you could still do it at 30 though...would that be easier since she's shocking? then raise it afterwards.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

8. Back To Top    #8

I would raise the CYA to 30 while you begin shocking. Your shock level would be 12. Complete the shock process at the lower CYA level, since you need less bleach, and then when the FC holds overnight, then increase the CYA back up where it needs to be.

Shock levels are the same whether you have an SWG or not.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks...I'll go for the 30, start shocking and then once we don't lose overnight, increase CYA up to 60! Sounds like a plan!!! (No beatings necessary, Reebok...I appreciate the recommendation to keep the CYA low anyway!!)

I'll keep you posted!!

Kathy

10. Back To Top    #10

Re: Still shocking, but had to re-start...EDIT: Out of R-0871

Plugging right along, but I've only got enough R-0871 to do one more test!!! (28 drops at a time eats it up quick!!) I'm going to order some right now, but what do I do in the meantime?? The 2 Leslies near me and the Pinch a Penny don't have it...I already called...

?????

kathy

11. Back To Top    #11

Here's what I'd do till I got more 0871. I'd take how much chlorine I put in it yesterday, do the one last test that you have enough 0871 for and use PC (pool calc) to figure how much bleach to add to keep the FC level up. Then if it's the same as yesterday or close, just keep adding that much every day till your 0871 arrives. You may raise the FC level above target a bit but as soon as you can test it you can adjust it to where it needs to be. Not a perfect solution but at least you won't slip backwards and have to start over another time.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

I just had the same problem, though my shock level was > 18. So I ran out of the new reagent bottle rather quickly. I started to dilute the pool water with non-chlorinated water either 1:1 or 2:1 or even 3:1, then pour it into the test kit chamber. I would then add drops as usual and multiply by either 2 or 3 or 4, etc. You really only need to know a ballpark, as long it is at least at shock level. It extended my last little bit significantly until I got my new reagents.
    25000 gal inground freeform plaster pool with spillover hot tub. 1.5 hp PacFab Challenger pump, Hayward DE filter, Natural Gas heater, BBB convert 2009, Aquasol solar panels on ground rack 2010, PS-4 controller 2010, Rocky roller, SWG 2011.