Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I'm not sure how to read this result

1. Back To Top    #1

I'm not sure how to read this result

I am not sure I am reading the results of this test correctly. I can tell the color is more intense than the top number on the vial. How should I be reading this result? I am using a Leslie's dpd kit, but not the one recommended by this site. It measures free and total chlorine, ph, alkalinity, and bromine. Any help would be appreciated. ( I will order a better kit when payday rolls around.) Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I'm not sure how to read this result

You can assume your FC is equal to or higher than 5ppm
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    Do the recommended test kits have a range higher than 5ppm?
    TFP Moderator
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes. I use the TF-100 test kit. You count drops and watch for a color change to get your results , so theres no guessing as to your results. It's really easy and the directions are printed right on the box. Well worth the money and it has enough reagent to probably last a couple of seasons
    24 x 52 Round AG Outback Empire Pool 13,500 gal.
    1 HP Hayward Power-Flo pump w/Hayward 18" 150lb. sand filter
    TF-100 test kit & SpeedStir
    Wanda the Whale Vacuum

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by pepsiholic
    Yes. I use the TF-100 test kit. You count drops and watch for a color change to get your results , so theres no guessing as to your results. It's really easy and the directions are printed right on the box. Well worth the money and it has enough reagent to probably last a couple of seasons
    Thanks for the information!
    TFP Moderator
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

you can order the whole kit or just the fas/dpd kit at tftestkits.net...the owner of the site is a member of this forum and we all love the service and convenience the kit provides
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    Do the recommended test kits have a range higher than 5ppm?
    The FAS-DPD test reads up to 50ppm.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

8. Back To Top    #8

The kit you have does not test all the water parameters you need to test. It does not test CH or CYA and both are important to know (although, with a vinyl pool you have a very wide acceptable range for calcium).
    I would recommend getting a full TF100 kit or a Taylor K-2006 and not just an FAS-DPD test. It will be more cost effective n the long run.

9. Back To Top    #9

O.K. Now I have slightly cloudy blue water. I have ordered a test kit but it won't be here for a few days. My problem now, I have some test strips that read up to 10 ppm for chlorine, but my recommended shock level for last night was 33. I added 6 quarts of bleach around 5:30 p.m. and tested around 10:00 p.m. using my dpd kit that only goes up to 5 ppm and the strip that goes up to 10. Both tests showed it was likely over 10 ppm. I tried to get the chlorine level tested at the pool store this morning, but while I was waiting for someone to serve me I noticed they were using the same kit I had that only reads up to 5 ppm! At 5:30 this morning both tests still showed potential chlorine levels of 10 ppm or more. At 11:30 I still get the same reading with both tests. Do I need to shock again since my water is still a little cloudy? If I shock should I plug in 10 on the pool calculator since I don't know how high the chlorine really is? By the way, my cya is 150!

Thanks!
    TFP Moderator
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

how do you know it's 150? I don't doubt it's high, but what test read it that high for you?
    if it is true, your shock level is 60 and your target level (when not shocking) is ~17. you should start draining water now. at least half, even if you do it a bit at a time (drain some, refill, drain some more, refill). I run at 70 and while not ideal, it's doable and will let you drain a bit less.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

11. Back To Top    #11

If your Leslie's kit tested CYA at 150, then start draining. Did you use the dilution method to determine 150?
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

12. Back To Top    #12

The cya level is from the strips. The Leslie's kit doesn't measure cya. I drained down about 10" yesterday and refilled and the cya level according to the strip didn't budge. I have no idea if it is right or even close. Last week, before I started reading this site, my water was cloudy so put in 2 bags of Fresh and Clear. Prior to the Fresh and Clear the strips said the cya was around 50. I don't know if Fresh and Clear has stabilizers in it or not. I went to Leslie's and looked at the bag and I couldn't tell. Anyway, I'm trying to muddle through as best I can for now. Thank you for your help!
    TFP Moderator
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

you need to get a good test kit. stop buying anything the pool store recommends. fresh n clear is virtually useless for you.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

14. Back To Top    #14

Fresh and Clear is MPS and not usefull in outdoor pools.

I would not drain until you confirm what your actual CYA level is, and you won't be able to chlorinate properly until you know the correct level.

15. Back To Top    #15

IIRC, the hth 6-way test kit (liquid, not strips) that Wal-mart sells has the CYA test in it. I believe there is only enough reagent to do 2 tests, but that could help get you started until you can get a better test kit. It won't help with CL much, but I am almost positive it had the CYA test in it when I bought one.
    Nicole

21' AGP (10,400g)
    Hayward PowerFlo Matrix dual-speed 1HP pump, 75 sq ft Waterway cartridge filter
    4G Liquidator, Aquabot POOL ROVER S2-40