Air in Filter - normal?

Montare67

LifeTime Supporter
May 20, 2009
Naples, FL
Was looking at my filter last night opened the air release valve on top of the unit (while the pump was running) and to my suprise air was forced out for at least 10-15 seconds before any water was released. Did the same thing today and more air released.

Is this normal? The pump had been running for at least 8hours prior.

In order to pass the final plumbing inspection, my builder just replaced one of the pump's drain plugs with an SVRS device - although I do not know if the air in the filter was present prior to that...

I do notice a few air bubles in the returns and I have less pressure for waterfall/deck jets.

thx

I had the same problem. I read a post on here about pouring water over the basket lid to see if there was air infiltration at that point. I did and the air bubbles in the strainer went away. I found a small crack in the o-ring and replaced it. However, I was still getting bubbles. I then I poured water on the connection on the suction side that goes into the strainer basket and determined that air was also getting in there. I sealed around that connection with silicone and all the air bubbles went away.

If you are saying that you primed the pump 8 hrs ago and the filter still has air in it, then that may be normal. You will usually have air in the filter after the initial priming and should be purged manually. After you bleed the air out, it should not accumulate anymore in the filter unless you have a leak. Also, if you see air in the pump basket, then you might have an air leak.

You don't have an Ozone generator do you? I have an ozone generator that connects to the small inlet at the bottom of my pump. I have a continual stream of bubbles coming out of my returns. I've been presuming it is from what the ozonator puts into the system, but now that you mention it, I should probably turn the thing off for a day to be sure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.