New Pool Build Fort Worth TX

Kimber1

Gold Supporter
Jul 26, 2017
Fort Worth, TX
Hi Everyone!

My husband and I have wanted a pool for a long time. We debated on selling our current home and buying a new home with a pool already installed, but we couldn't find any houses that compared to ours. We have put so much time and effort into our home over the last two years that we decided that we were just going to go ahead and get a loan and put a pool in. We got numerous bids from numerous pool builders and ultimately decided to go with one of the more expensive bids... primarily because the builder is a structural engineer and their proposal was so well done.

Here is what we are going with:

31' x 18' Free Form In Ground Gunite Pool Surface are 395 sq ft with a 7' Round Spa raised 18" with a cascading stone spillway (waterfall effect) 38 sq ft
Roughly 16,000 gallons
Oklahoma stone coping to match our existing deck
6 Returns, 2 Skimmers
Extended 2nd Step
Tanning Ledge
24" Raised Beam (we have a sloped yard, so this was a must for us)
2 LED color lights (one in the pool and one in the spa)
2 bubblers on the tanning ledge
Pebble Plaster (WetEdge Satin Matrix in color: Northshore Tahoe)
480 sq ft of colored salt concrete decking - We added a 680 sq ft Oklahoma Stone patio with gazebo and fire pit last year that we are tying into the pool deck so we really have a 1,160 sq ft outside deck/patio area.
Jandy CL460 Filter
Jandy 2HP Variable Speed Pump
Jandy PLC1400 Salt Water cholorinator
Paramount ClearO3 Ozone Oxidizer & Ultra UV Sanitizer System - Edited to add: We have decided to remove these and add some lights on the deck instead
Dolphin Nautilus Plus Robotic Cleaner with Caddy
400,000 btu Natural Gas Heater
PDA-PS4 Pool & Spa Combo Wireless Controller

Here is a screen shot of the rendering from the Pool Builder. This shows how it will tie into the deck, gazebo, and fire pit we put in last year:

Pool Rendering.jpg

Here is a screen shot showing the lower deck and steps that are needed because of the slope in our yard:

Steps and Lower Deck Rendering.jpg

And an overhead look :)

Overhead Rendering.jpg

Here is the Survey Layout

Stake Out.jpg

Editing this first Post to add on the timeline of our pool build process:

5/26/2017 Chose PB we wanted to go with and submitted our home survey to them
6/12/2017 Met with PB and received above pool rendering (we had a paper rendering and the 3D rendering that I took a screen shot of)
6/14/2017 Started loan process (we needed to take out a home equity loan to afford the pool)
6/14/2017 Put down deposit with PB so they could submit for necessary permits. We were told the process could take 4 - 6 weeks in our area, so it could be started while waiting for loan to go through.
6/15/2017 Submitted survey and rendering to our HOA for approval
6/28/2017 Received approval from HOA
7/25/2017 FINALLY closed on loan
7/26/2017 Received Permits from City

Start of Pool Build:

7/27/2017 Pool build started!!!! Excavation
7/28/2017 Rebar and plumbing
7/31/2017 Gunite
8/01/2017 Waterline tile put in and pool equipment installed (We are also having a wood fire pit converted to gas and the demolition of the fire pit started today too)
8/03/2017 Electrician
8/07/2017 Coping and stone work
8/08/2017 Coping and stone work. Gas line installed for fire pit.
8/09/2017 Coping and stone work. Sprinkler re-route started.
8/10/2017 Coping and stone work. LED lights installed for the steps and lower landing area
8/11/2017 Coping and stone work completed. Fire pit conversion from wood to gas completed.
8/15/2017 Decking forms built
8/16/2017 Concrete deck poured - salted and colored concrete. The color we chose is Latte. Since our patio is Oklahoma Stone and our pool coping is Oklahoma stone, we wanted colored concrete to add some visual difference.
8/18/2017 Yard clean up - PB crew is picking up all of the debris from the build.
8/21/2017 Started sprinkler re-route and put fence back up.
8/23/2017 Scraped pool to get ready for plaster and fixed a couple of minor things we didn't like.
8/25/2017 PLASTER!!
8/26/2017 Acid Wash and start of pool fill
8/27/2017 Pool fill complete! One month from start of excavation to pool build completion. Now we just have to finish the sprinkler re-route, put down sod, and landscape! :) 30 days until we can turn on the SWCG.

Welcome to the forum! Great looking design.

You can eliminate two items: Paramount ClearO3 Ozone Oxidizer and the ULTRA UV Ultraviolet Sanitizer System.

They do nothing for residential outdoor pools. If anything they are harmful as the UV burns up your chlorine to some extent.

Stick with a plain SWCG. Be sure it is sized for at least twice your pool volume. Do not waiver on this, you will be glad you did.

Automation? Have to stick with whomever manufactures your pump and SWCG so everything talks together. I suggest Pentair but that is what I have ...

Good luck!

See how much it would cost to go bigger on your cartridge filter. Ours is the 520, I believe and the pool is only 17'x19'. Alsways better to go bigger on the filter which will mean longer times between cleaning! Also make sure the SWCG is sized for 2-3 times larger than your pool. You'll run it less, which means longer salt cell life.

Didn't know Fort Worth had mountains. :laughblue:

Welcome to How exciting!! You will love having the pool to go along with your home you've put your heart in. I think you made a great call. Now you can get the pool just the way YOU like it!

The only thing I see right now other than what mknauss said (he's right on all of that!) is for you to check what kind of automation you're getting through your builder for Jandy equipment. I also have Jandy, and my controller is the PS-8. It's a PDA, and it's so antiquated, it drives me nuts. (and that's coming from an old lady with very few technical skills) It takes a long time to show anything, and to see the main read out page, you have to just sit and wait while it automatically goes back and forth through pages (screens). For me the worst part is the screen is so dim and hard to see in most lighting. It does have a backlight, but you have to go through menus to turn it on or off.
Once you turn it on, it kills your battery worse than any old handheld video games.Everyone I know on TFP who has the Jandy PDA complains about it. Go with the iAquaLink to be able to use your phone. That's not something you can upgrade to later once you have the PDA.

Your design looks great! What depths are ya'll going with? You will love the robot cleaner! Be thinking of a name for it.... Many of us have some name for our robot cleaner. Mine is Rosie for the maid in the Jetsons.

Let us know your questions. There's someone here who will have the answer, and most of us always have an opinion! Lol!!!

Don't you love looking out at the mountains of Fort Worth??? :laughblue:

Glad you're here!
Suz

Hi,
I updated my original post to put in the size of the SWG. It’s rated up to 40,000 gallons and our pool is about 16,000 gallons so that should be a good size.

We were adding on the UV and OZONE to hopefully be able to use less chemicals since I have really sensitive skin. But if it won’t really do anything beneficial then I would rather save money and use it somewhere else.

Thank you so much for the comments!

No, the UV/Ozone won't lessen the need for chlorine in any way. You get plenty of UV (free!) from the sun....why pay for more?

Many folks with skin issues actually find SWG chlorine pools helpful to their skin.

Maddie :flower:

Hi,
I updated my original post to put in the size of the SWG. It’s rated up to 40,000 gallons and our pool is about 16,000 gallons so that should be a good size.

We were adding on the UV and OZONE to hopefully be able to use less chemicals since I have really sensitive skin. But if it won’t really do anything beneficial then I would rather save money and use it somewhere else.

Thank you so much for the comments!

If you follow TFP guidelines you will be using the minimal amount of chemicals you can. And your pool water will be clean, clear, have no chlorine smell, and sanitary.

Take care.

Oh my! We are getting the PDA. I will call and see if we can upgrade to the iAquaLink!!

We are going from 3.5 feet to 6 feet. It's not a big pool, but it fits our yard and still gives some grass for our four rescue dogs :)

Welcome to How exciting!! You will love having the pool to go along with your home you've put your heart in. I think you made a great call. Now you can get the pool just the way YOU like it!

The only thing I see right now other than what mknauss said (he's right on all of that!) is for you to check what kind of automation you're getting through your builder for Jandy equipment. I also have Jandy, and my controller is the PS-8. It's a PDA, and it's so antiquated, it drives me nuts. (and that's coming from an old lady with very few technical skills) It takes a long time to show anything, and to see the main read out page, you have to just sit and wait while it automatically goes back and forth through pages (screens). For me the worst part is the screen is so dim and hard to see in most lighting. It does have a backlight, but you have to go through menus to turn it on or off.
Once you turn it on, it kills your battery worse than any old handheld video games.Everyone I know on TFP who has the Jandy PDA complains about it. Go with the iAquaLink to be able to use your phone. That's not something you can upgrade to later once you have the PDA.

Your design looks great! What depths are ya'll going with? You will love the robot cleaner! Be thinking of a name for it.... Many of us have some name for our robot cleaner. Mine is Rosie for the maid in the Jetsons.

Let us know your questions. There's someone here who will have the answer, and most of us always have an opinion! Lol!!!

Don't you love looking out at the mountains of Fort Worth??? :laughblue:

Glad you're here!
Suz

- - - Updated - - -

Hi! I responded to your PM :)

The design looks great Kimber1, well done! I sent ya a PM.

Seems the PB's I have talked to in DFW push chlorine pools vs salt water. Curious to your PB's thoughts on this.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for the quick response! Do you think there are any benefits to the UV or Ozone? Or are they just a way to lose money?

If you follow TFP guidelines you will be using the minimal amount of chemicals you can. And your pool water will be clean, clear, have no chlorine smell, and sanitary.

Take care.

See my post #2. The Ozone and UV consume electricity and some chlorine from your water. Of no use in an outdoor, residential pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Kim,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for eliminating all pool builder's "magic" from your pool... :drown:

As all the others have said.. Don't buy into the magic of Ozone or UV... They are all magic and no rabbit!!! They will do nothing but transfer money from your pocket into your pool builders pocket. :p They will not reduce the amount of chlorine that you need to properly sanitize your pool by any measureable amount.

You will love your new saltwater pool... I have one and will never, ever, go back to a normal chlorine pool.

Following the principles of TFP, you will have a saltwater/chlorine pool without that chlorine smell that I'm sure you have noticed at public pools...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Kim,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for eliminating all pool builder's "magic" from your pool... :drown:

As all the others have said.. Don't buy into the magic of Ozone or UV... They are all magic and no rabbit!!! They will do nothing but transfer money from your pocket into your pool builders pocket. :p They will not reduce the amount of chlorine that you need to properly sanitize your pool by any measureable amount.

You will love your new saltwater pool... I have one and will never, ever, go back to a normal chlorine pool.

Following the principles of TFP, you will have a saltwater/chlorine pool without that chlorine smell that I'm sure you have noticed at public pools...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Hi Jim!

Thank you, and all of the other posters, for the great advice. We were only leaning towards the UV and Ozone to hopefully lessen the amount of chemicals we used (with the goal of minimizing skin irritations). But it sounds like it wouldn't really do much towards that. And I'm all for saving as much money as possible! :D

I found this forum at the right time, because they are breaking ground tomorrow, so we need to make decisions/changes fairly quickly.

And I see you are in Bedford... that's very close to us. We are close to Saginaw.

- - - Updated - - -

Ozone and UV are helpful for *indoor* pools and spas that don't get any direct sunlight. Outdoor residential pools do so why spend money on redundancy?

Maddie :flower:

Thank you so much for the advice! Everyone on this forum is so friendly and helpful!

Hi, Kimber1!

Congratulations on your decision to "jump in"! Here are a couple of thoughts you might consider as we are enjoying our first summer in our new pool a few miles north of you near Decatur.

We decided to maximize 2 things: pool size and deck size (within our budget) because they are not easily changed later. We left the heater, the automation, etc. for future since they can be easily added.

While the automation is cool to show your neighbors, on an every day basis I don't mind flipping the light switch a couple of times to change the LED colors. In fact, our PB talked us out of a heater advising us to use the pool for a season and see if we then felt the heater was worth the investment.

And, while opinions vary on SWG, he told us that every pool he built over the past five years was saltwater but they are moving away from salt back to chlorine for cost reasons and potential damage to the pool surroundings. I guess that's a controversial subject but we went with chlorine.

Maybe I'm just cheap but all these toys are, in my mind, just something else to fix when they break.

Another lesson learned: when we designed the pool with the PB, we put the skimmers on the north and south walls of the pool since the prevailing winds would push debris to the skimmers. Well, we learned that the wind swirls as it flows over the house and debris is actually pushed east/west. And I thought we were being so smart!

Best of luck with your build! Your design is gorgeous!

Mike

Kimber,

We opted to have a heater and I'm glad we did! It extended the season, allowed us to swim on Christmas or any time we had company from "up north." We were also able to get into the pool much earlier in the season. There was no significant cost increase in our gas bill either and were heating the pool to 90! We are the kind of people that adding something "later" either never happens or happens 10+ years down the road! But, you have to do what's in your budget. I would also recommend the SWCG. Super easy! When cold weather comes, you will have to switch to chlorine because most won't function under 60 degrees. But in the winter, the chlorine usage is minimal anyway.

Good luck! Have fun with it all!

I like the design! Almost identical shape as our pool layout (minus the spa). We almost went with the salt finish concrete as well but changed it to pavers. I like that look though. I also got talked in to the exact same UV/Ozone system by our PB (before I joined this site). We wanted salt and he talked us out of it. This may be due to neglect but I also saw what salt did to my neighbors metal patio furniture and they complained a lot about salt residue on their decking/coping so that weighed in on our decision as well.

We also tried the exact same route as you did on buying a house with a pool instead of building. The real estate market is just too crazy in DFW though it was impossible to find a house we liked with a pool then attempt to outbid everyone else that wanted the same thing.

...I also saw what salt did to my neighbors metal patio furniture and they complained a lot about salt residue on their decking/coping so that weighed in on our decision as well....

The salt in a saltwater pool has about the same salt content as what is in your tears... so, I'm not sure what residue was on the decking /coping, but I really doubt it was salt.

It does not matter how you chlorinate your pool, you still have to test on a regular basis and adjust your chemistry to be in balance. A saltwater pool takes some of the work out of it, but the pool will not take care of itself...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Yeah as I said it may be do to maintenance in general. I think the sales guy for our PB must get a bigger commission on the UV system even though he told me the cost is the same as salt.

Yeah as I said it may be do to maintenance in general. I think the sales guy for our PB must get a bigger commission on the UV system even though he told me the cost is the same as salt.

Manufacturers of some of the 'alternative' sanitizer systems give the equipment to the pool builders -- based on the fact you will have to buy their proprietary, expensive replacement bulbs, packs, etc. to keep using your equipment.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.