i got the TST kit today- here are my results:

TC - orange? Figured high?
pH - 7.5
Fc 14
CC 0
CH - 225
TA 140
CYA 80

i had shocked the pool 7/24 as had 0 reading. I know better now. We are supposed to have storms tonight, so figure chlorine will go down? We also have automated chlorine dispenser on 4.

To look at pool, it looks great.

thanks for your help!

I see nothing wrong with those numbers. Keep an eye on your pH with your TA at 140, and keep monitoring your FC daily to ensure it stays in range for your CYA of 80 (see the FC/CYA Chart link in my signature).

Edited: I had my SWCG hat on -- that CYA is high for a non-SWCG pool. You could live with it and let it fall on its own, but it will increase how much chlorine dosing you need to do. You may want to consider lowering it to 30-40 through water replacement, but up to you. Also, what is the TC test? Are you using the TF-100 test kit or something else? I see strips in your signature?

We also have automated chlorine dispenser on 4.

From the above it appears you are using solid chlorine (pucks or tablets).

You need to immediately discontinue using those. Your CYA is already too high for a non-SWCG pool and each tablet is adding CYA to your pool.

Good luck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Chlorine tablets

Hi,

My CYA is up, and I've been advised to stop my chlorine tablets. I turned off the automatic dispenser by the pump, but do I need to actually empty that? I'm not sure how to go about that if I do.

I am learning so much. Once I think I understand something, something new comes up. ?

Thanks for all the help!

Re: Chlorine tablets

Yup, you definitely need to take those pucks out. They're adding CYA to your pool you do not need.

Make sure you're using this guide to make sure your FC is high enough to match the CYA level --> [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Maddie :flower:

Be careful when removing the pucks. Wear gloves and have a bucket to set them it so they can dry out. The smell can be harmful so try to stay upwind.

I normally toss mine on some rocks away from the pool until they dry up.

Thanks! That's what I thought. Last night I wasn't able to get the top off, so I will try again this weekend.

Common complaint about the in-line chlorinator units. I found that silicone O-ring lubricant keeps things working nicely. Don't go overboard forcing it off, because you might not get it back on again...better to let the pucks dissolve and then just let the unit collect dust (as I've unfortunately learned here with my CYA reading of 100).

Chlorinator caps can be a bear to remove. In my pre-TFP pool life, when I was using pucks :hammer: and I couldn't get it open, I'd use a piece of wood, metal bar or a long handled wrench to leverage it open. If the bottom that holds the tablets moves, have someone try to hold that section if possible. Chlorinators come in handy when you go on vacation and don't have a trusted someone who can come by and add liquid chlorine. Just know your CYA levels and manage them as needed when you return.

Attachments

• IMG_1660.jpg
    IMG_1660.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 26
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.