Proper way to add CYA

stev32k

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2009
Mobile, Alabama
I need to add about 2 lbs of CYA and I've read that some people put the CYA in a sock and place the sock in the skimmer until it dissolves. Two questions about that: is it necessary to use a sock? Could you just pour the solid CYA in the skimmer and let the sand filter catch it where it would stay until dissolved? Second what kind of sock is used - panty hose or a plain cotton sock?

If you pour it into the skimmer you can't backwash until it has dissolved usually about a week, using a sock, and I was using an old hunting sock, lets it dissolve into the water and circulating quicker.
Some also hang it in front of the return jet to dissolve directly into the pool.
I also found the sock worked as a skimmer sock while I was clearing up an algae bloom, so I left it in my skimmer and now water is crystal clear. :)

The pool has been so clean I haven't had to backwash since the first week in May. Even now the pressure is only 1 lb above where it is right after a backwash. I've lost some CYA due to very heavy rains and the pool overflowing. We have had anywhere from 1 to 6 inches of rain per week for the past several weeks.

I've seen other references to a "skimmer sock", but I have no idea what that is? Is it something you buy at a pool store?

If you are not looking at backwashing anytime soon, then putting the CYA into the skimmer will be alright.
A skimmer sock is a light weight filtering sock that fits over the skimmer basket to catch smaller particles of stuff that can work their way through a filter and back into the pool.
I have never bought them but I think they can be bought at pool stores and Wal Marts. Some use an old nylon stocking, which are just about as good without the cost of buying the actual things.

pour it slowly into the skimmer with the pump running, run the pump 24/7 for about 48 hours, go back to your normal pump schedule. Don't backwash for a week or test the CYA for a week.

IF you decide to put it in a sock it is not a skimmer sock or pantyhose that you want to use since the CYA will go right though the weave. You want to use an old white cotton sock. Some CYA will escape and it's going to take a week for it all to dissolve anyway so it's futile, IMHO, unless you are battline a green pool that NEEDS to be back washed more often thatn once every 48 hours.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.