What would cause pH and TA to rise quickly over past week?

Feb 2, 2008
Northwest Indiana
I have been rolling along all summer at TA of 110 ppm and pH of 7.4-7.5 During the past week my TA has gone from 110 to 130 to 150 in a matter of about 5 days. My PH yesterday was pushing 7.8 but not quite on the colors. I knew something was wrong because when I got out my skin was itching like crazy which led me to test the water. What would cause this. I have been running pump about 12 hours per day...What temp is just shy of 80 degrees

FC between 4.5 and 7 all the time.
CC 0
pH climbing from 7.4 to 7.8 over past five days
TA also climbing
CH 130
CYA 25

Any thoughts

JasonLion said:
I could be blown in dust.
Jason what do you mean...how does dust effect it. I have had dust problems for both summers this and last...I am not getting so much on the bottom of the pool since I constantly use a skimmer sock. It keeps a lot of that from blowing through the filter and back into the pool. But what does dust have to do with it...That's a new one?

frustratedpoolmom said:
WAASSSUUUUP! :wave:

That's odd... Have you added any tap water?

Is Jim at it again? :grrrr:

Ann yup added water late last week, but same water as I always add nothing new but a new hose? New Hose would not do anything to it would it? Haven't had any rain to speak of other than the 4th...Not Jim...He has been silent since we blasted the front of the house with the errant fireworks. My eyelid finally healed from the errant spark...Good thing I got the ol eye closed in time huh? :cyclopsani:

Hey Cubby...you can try testing your fill water again for it's contributing TA...I'm sure you've done it before, but even tap water/well water changes over time. Hate to say it but sound like your in for a date with a bottle of MA and some aeration. :shock: :goodjob:

dmanb2b said:
Hey Cubby...you can try testing your fill water again for it's contributing TA...I'm sure you've done it before, but even tap water/well water changes over time. Hate to say it but sound like your in for a date with a bottle of MA and some aeration. :shock: :goodjob:

You know, I have been running my return jet at the surface...My wife likes the current when she is on her mom raft...it keeps her going around the outside and out of the play zone...would that do it...I have a 2 hp pump and it creates quite a splash on the surface if adjusted that way. Would that increase in aeration cause it all to go up?

On the PH rise...absolutely if it's breaking the surface. But it doesn't explain the TA rise. Thinking back to the lowering your TA sticky, I believe aeration raise PH while leaving TA unaffected.

dmanb2b said:
On the PH rise...absolutely if it's breaking the surface. But it doesn't explain the TA rise. Thinking back to the lowering your TA sticky, I believe aeration raise PH while leaving TA unaffected.

That is what I thought...I am trying to remember if anything else has changed? I know that when I was on vacation and came back I had to add water because someone pulled off one of my hoses and I lost about 6 inches of water...My neighbor added water but it kept pouring out. This caused a CYA drop from 40 to 25. But nothing else has changed. I haven't used any different chlorine. I will check my tap water when I head home for lunch today. See what that says?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.