How to test the chlorine in the bottle

Kathyonthefarm

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 14, 2008
Chatham, Ohio
Good morning,
I had my pool perfectly balanced then left for vacation after the 4th and the person who was supposed to take of it couldn't. We shocked with the same amount, when we returned and used in the Spring with no show of Cl the next morning. Bought new Cl, 12% bleach, and added, again the same amount used in the Spring and according to pool.calculator., with no show of Cl, again. Could the bleach in the bottles sold to us be old? How can I test the cl in the bottle?
Thanks,
Kathy

I would lean towards something consuming the chlorine overnight, you should post a full set of water test result numbers so everyone can try and help explain your situation.
Also having your pool dimensions listed in your signature will help determine how much of what will be needed to clear up your pool.

The dilutions required to test chlorine strength are surprisingly difficult because it requires such a tiny, tiny amount of chlorine. It's normally too difficult to do.

However, you could simply take a dropper and drop some into a glass and test for the presence of chlorine using an OTO test......it'll tell you it's not zero but that's about it.

EDIT - It's probably organics in your pool but we are all just guessing without test results.

Ok people, I don’t want to sound stupid or that I know more than anyone but……………I took a small amount, 1 tablespoon or so and dumped into water ( quart size) with no cl and got NO reading………………..shouldn’t I have got some reading?……….I do know the pool store did not know how old the cl was ……….I also used the test strips from a neighbor and dipped it directly into the bottle of the cl and got a reading of 1……..so are these samples/tests valid enough to take the cl back to the store? Or to assume the cl is old with no cl in it? I am using a Taylor kit with new reagents this May and have been using, recording and measuring pool info all season with no problems. I think I was sold old cl with NOOOOOOO cl in it.

Kathyonthefarm said:
...I took a small amount, 1 tablespoon or so and dumped into water ( quart size) with no cl and got NO reading………………..shouldn’t I have got some reading?……….I do know the pool store did not know how old the cl was ……….I also used the test strips from a neighbor and dipped it directly into the bottle of the cl and got a reading of 1……....

It sounds like you proved that you got a bum batch of chlorine. I would take it back and let them test it for themselves to prove it to them. If you have some Clorox in the house - you could test that also to prove that your chemicals and test strips aren't bad. Good luck

If you used an OTO chlorine test, then the chlorine is bad. But if you used a DPD or FAS-DPD chlorine test, then you really haven't found out anything. Both the DPD and FAS-DPD tests will bleach out and read zero at extremely high FC levels. DPD bleaches out fairly easily, and FAS-DPD will also bleach out if the FC level is extremely high, as it would have been with the procedure you described.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.