LifeTime Supporter
May 29, 2007
Milwaukee, WI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We fight mustard algae each year. We began to see signs of it recently, so last night we shocked to MA levels & brushed the pool. We didn't turn off the filter overnight. FC held overnight, however there were four small areas throughout the pool where I could see green-yellow algae on the liner this morning. I brushed them right away & they dissolved into the water.

Since I was still able to see some "live" algae this morning, do you think that I should hold the MA shock level for another 12-24 hours?

Thanks!

are you seeing any of the algae during grey or light tan?

Anyways, I've used Yellow Treat and Yellow Out with success in the past you just have to watch your FC after using the product but for me it has got the job done.

I would use chlorine to clear your pool. Bring the FC back to MA shock level and hold it there by adding more chlorine as often as you can until your pool is clear. A one-time dose of chlorine will seldom result in a cure for algae. Shocking should be a process that may take more than 24 hours to complete.

You are finished shocking when...

1. Your pool water is sparkling
2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less
3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

Dave gave you great advice.

I do not agree AT ALL with the advice to use Yellow Out - it may actually make your situation worse.

I'm not convinced this was algae at all. Was this like a dusty, dirty looking substance - or was it growing, adhering to walls, etc? True Mustard Algae will disappear when shock level is reached, only to reappear when the FC drops back down. It tends to grow on the shady side of the pool, in areas of poor circulation, etc.

So if the dusty/dirty stuff, perhaps in your crevices, along seams, corners - were still there in the morning even at shock level, and the FC held, then it's probably not Mustard Algae or any kind of algae at all.

Can you post a pic?

I assume you used the FAS-DPD test and followed the Overnight FC Loss test instructions?

Hi Again:

Actually, we took the FC to shock level a couple of days ago. We just realized that we were dealing with mustard algae yesterday, so we bumped our FC from "normal" shock level to the higher MA level last night.

We know it's mustard algae because it starts growing up our walls, especially in the shady end of the pool. It also seems to appear in areas with less water circulation. We've had "regular" algae in prior years...it behaves much differently & disappears as soon as we hold "normal" shock levels overnight.

My question regards the small amount of algae that I was able to still see this morning. Since my FC held overnight (and is still at MA level) can I just assume that those spots were there because they were in areas of low water circulation?

1. The pool isn't sparkling. It's cloudy due to the dead algae. Sometimes it takes almost a week for the dead mustard algae to filter out. I've never kept it at shock level that entire time...is that okay?

2. With past MA outbreaks, our cc's haven't gone higher than .5 until AFTER we've shocked the pool and killed the algae. For our pool, we haven't been able to rely on the cc level as a MA indicator.

3. Our FC held overnight & is still slightly above MA shock level.

Thanks for your time!

X-PertPool said:
Anyways, I've used Yellow Treat and Yellow Out with success in the past you just have to watch your FC after using the product but for me it has got the job done.

X-PertPool: I think I speak for the majority of us on the Forum when I say that I have chosen the BBB method because I prefer to eliminate the costly "extras" that are rarely effective in maintaining my pool. I respect the fact that you have an allegiance to Yellow Treat & Yellow Out, however, I have found that the BBB method provides all of the tools that I need to keep my pool sparkling, without the complications & cost that come with the many other pool products on the market.

Does sound like the dreaded MA doesn't it.... :grrrr:

Well, I'd say since you still saw some still there, and the water's cloudy, keep it up for another day. Make sure you are brushing the low-circ areas thoroughly, make sure floats, toys, ladders, light niches, are getting checked...

Maybe try some DE in the sand filter to see if that helps with the clarity issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.