SWCG not making enough chlorine

jkapp

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 20, 2007
Hunterdon County, NJ
First, I'd like to thank the moderators and contributors on TFP for the invaluable information and help provided here. Friends laugh at me when they see my pool chemistry set and (homemade) magnetic stirrer - until they see my pool.

Everything seems perfect with my pool except that my Jandy 1400 SWCG seems to be struggling to produce enough chlorine. I've had to set my output to 100% to keep my FC in the 3-4 ppm range. Pump is running about eight hours during the day. The system was installed late last season. A few things that I've checked:

- First, the SWCG is definitely making chlorine. I see small bubbles coming out of my returns (now continuously that I've set the SWCG to 100%). The amount of bubbles looks typical.

- I don't think I have an algae problem. (Thankfully, due to TFP, I've never had to fight an algae bloom). I've been watching my FC and CC levels very carefully. I've been measuring chlorine levels with my TF-100 FAS/DPD one to two times a day for the past week. FC stays in the 3-4 ppm range and CC maxes out at 0.5 ppm after a day of heavy swimming and then it's back down to 0 by the next test. My overnight FC loss is 0.5 to 1.0 ppm. Water is sparkly.

- I've removed the cell and looked closely at the plates. I don't see any sign of build-up.

My last test results:

FC: 4
CC: 0
pH: 7.5
TA: 90
CH: 320
CYA: 70
Salt: 3500
Borates: 30
Temp: 82

Any thoughts on what else I should look at?

Since the system was installed late last season, you have never been through the middle of summer with it before. Chlorine demand is higher when the water is warmer. It may be that you need to increase the pump run time, or supplement the SWG with manual chlorine additions during the hottest part of the summer.

JasonLion said:
Since the system was installed late last season, you have never been through the middle of summer with it before. Chlorine demand is higher when the water is warmer. It may be that you need to increase the pump run time, or supplement the SWG with manual chlorine additions during the hottest part of the summer.
Very possible. It would be disappointing, but not surprising knowing my pool builder. Are there typically published values on how much chlorine a SWCG can generate that I could compare to how much bleach I use over some period of time (assuming my SWCG was off)? Assuming there are published values, are there any recommendations on how to perform the comparison?

Here's the specs I found on saltcells.com.

Input 115 VAC, 50/60 Hz, 2.5 amps or 230 VAC, 50/60 Hz, 1.75 amps
Output: 22-30 vdc @ 6 amps maximum
Chlorine Production: 1.25 Lbs per 24 hour (567 gm / 24 Hr.)

You should be able to figure how much it is making based on your run time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.