Having trouble with High Alk and Low PH - Help!

jsgip

Jul 1, 2007
NW Minnesota
I have been trying to balance out my PH and Alk.

My Ph is testing at 6.9-7.0 and my Alk has been 270-320 and I am struggling to get them balanced. I have at 3900 gal Metal Frame AGP. I have been adding the Muriatic Acid to drop the Alk. How much of this can I add in a day? I have been adding about 2 cups at a time.

I have also been having problems getting the PH higher. I have tried Borax and PH up and it just doesn't seem to hold it up. I was able to get my Alk down to 230 but then my PH dropped to 6.8. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
jsgip

jsgip said:
I have been trying to balance out my PH and Alk.

My Ph is testing at 6.9-7.0 and my Alk has been 270-320 and I am struggling to get them balanced. I have at 3900 gal Metal Frame AGP. I have been adding the Muriatic Acid to drop the Alk. How much of this can I add in a day? I have been adding about 2 cups at a time.

I have also been having problems getting the PH higher. I have tried Borax and PH up and it just doesn't seem to hold it up. I was able to get my Alk down to 230 but then my PH dropped to 6.8. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
jsgip
Hi, Js,

Muriatic acid should be used to lower pH...not alkalinity.

Alkalinity can only be permanantly be lowered thru aeration. Read in the stickies above for the description on how to do this.

Welcome to the forum...you'll get great advice and a lot of help from a lot of people here.

you use the acid to drop the pH and the alk, and then aerate to raise the pH back up. Repeat until you have reached a satisfactory alk level. Aerate by aiming your returns up, getting kids to splash around, rig up an air compressor, etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.