Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Having trouble with High Alk and Low PH - Help!

1. Back To Top    #1

Having trouble with High Alk and Low PH - Help!

I have been trying to balance out my PH and Alk.

My Ph is testing at 6.9-7.0 and my Alk has been 270-320 and I am struggling to get them balanced. I have at 3900 gal Metal Frame AGP. I have been adding the Muriatic Acid to drop the Alk. How much of this can I add in a day? I have been adding about 2 cups at a time.

I have also been having problems getting the PH higher. I have tried Borax and PH up and it just doesn't seem to hold it up. I was able to get my Alk down to 230 but then my PH dropped to 6.8. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
    jsgip
    13'x25.5' Splash Superpool 10500 gals
    18" Sand Filter w/Hayward Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Having trouble with High Alk and Low PH - Help!

Quote Originally Posted by jsgip
    I have been trying to balance out my PH and Alk.

My Ph is testing at 6.9-7.0 and my Alk has been 270-320 and I am struggling to get them balanced. I have at 3900 gal Metal Frame AGP. I have been adding the Muriatic Acid to drop the Alk. How much of this can I add in a day? I have been adding about 2 cups at a time.

I have also been having problems getting the PH higher. I have tried Borax and PH up and it just doesn't seem to hold it up. I was able to get my Alk down to 230 but then my PH dropped to 6.8. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
    jsgip
    Hi, Js,

Muriatic acid should be used to lower pH...not alkalinity.

Alkalinity can only be permanantly be lowered thru aeration. Read in the stickies above for the description on how to do this.

Welcome to the forum...you'll get great advice and a lot of help from a lot of people here.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

The gal at the pool store told me to use the Muriatic acid to drop the Alk. No wonder I have been having problems.
    13'x25.5' Splash Superpool 10500 gals
    18" Sand Filter w/Hayward Pump

4. Back To Top    #4
    you use the acid to drop the pH and the alk, and then aerate to raise the pH back up. Repeat until you have reached a satisfactory alk level. Aerate by aiming your returns up, getting kids to splash around, rig up an air compressor, etc.

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!