SLAM or just replace water?

mdk

Jun 4, 2014
Mansfield, TX
The pool is a dark green mess (4' deep with wedding cake steps - I can only see the top step) - and we're headed out of town for the next 4 days so starting a SLAM would just be a waste since there's no one to keep it going when we're gone.

When we return, would it be just as effective to do a 75% water change or is SLAM preferred?

Any suggestions for when we're gone? I plan to turn off the pump (too many leaves to let it run unattended) and hope for the best.

As for brushing/vacuuming, even though the ick factor is very high, is it safe to be in the pool? I have a manual suction vac so getting in the pool is required.

Hi, welcome to TFP! You can wait til after you return to clean up the pool. Even if you drain 75% you will still need to do a slam, but the slam will go much quicker than trying to clear it in its current state. Do you have an FAS/DPD test kit?

If water is cheap, you can drain down to leaving 1' of water in the pool, clean out all solid debris you can, refill, and they you will need to SLAM.

If possible I would use a net or rake to get the solids without getting in until you have drained, refilled, and started your SLAM. Then it will be OK as you will be chlorinating.

Take care.

Hi, welcome to TFP! You can wait til after you return to clean up the pool. Even if you drain 75% you will still need to do a slam, but the slam will go much quicker than trying to clear it in its current state. Do you have an FAS/DPD test kit?

Yes I have a kit. I've used the TFP method for several years - ever since I put in the pool - but due to unfortunate circumstances the algae got out of control this year. I've never really had to SLAM it before - can't say I'm looking forward to it.

Update: I did a 75% or so water change, and have been SLAMing for about a week. It turned from dark green to cloudy blue within ~3 days. It's still so cloudy that I can't see the 4th step. But I'll hold the course as i can slowly but surely see progress.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.