Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Please identify

1. Back To Top    #1

Please identify

I am trying to identify these discolorations in the deep end of my pool. Algae or stains? They are brown discolorations that don't move when brushed, appear to be slowly spreading (in my opinion), hard to see when the sun is shining on the water.

I was advised they could be organic and go away with time. I haven't seen them fade yet and the pool has had 8+ppm of FC in it for several weeks.

CC in less then .5 and FC overnight test passed.

The stains don't translate well on camera but here are some samples anyway. The stain is browner and more pronounced in person.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My Pool Stats
    IG Pool - 21,000 Gallon - Vinyl Liner
    Hayward 1.5HP Super Pump EE; Hayward DE Filter; Goldline SWG
    32' x 16', 8' deep at the deep end, about 3' shallow end

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Please identify

OMG!!! You've got black circles on the floor of your pool (wait a minute - you drew those in to show the problem areas ) :P

I'd be willing to go with organic unless someone applied a little green stain to your MD cover. I'm afraid you have something trying (fairly successfully ) to grow in the deep end. Other than the MD, is there any circulation going on down there - like a return pointed into the bottom of the hopper? One of the members here (actually he posted it on PF) Matt4X4, had some posts about a persistent algae which I dubbed "Matt's Mud" or "4X4 algae" found here on Pool Form. As I recall, treat it as if it were mustard or black algae and it will eventually leave the pool

I know I've seen Matt here of late (HI Matt ), perhaps he'll see this and have an update on the stuff
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

Organic stains usually fade with proper FC levels, mine did. What's your CYA level?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

CYA level is 70. I'm hoping they fade over time. I've been keeping FC at 8ppm. I don't think algae level shocking is going to do much. It might just be a waste of time and $.
    My Pool Stats

5. Back To Top    #5

I'd say it took about 2 months for mine to vanish completely. It was a very gradual fading.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

You could try placing a Vitamin C tablet on a stained area for 30 seconds and see what happens. If they are iron stains, the area where you applied the Vitamin C tablet will get significantly lighter or clear up completely.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

I wouldn't mind trying the vitamin C test but how to suggest I place a test tablet to the bottom of the 8' deep end?
    My Pool Stats

8. Back To Top    #8

just put it there. it should stay somewhat in place. your areas are so big that it should stay on a spot even if it moves slightly when you swim back to the surface. or you can swim down and hold it. even if it's only 20-25 seconds it should make some kind of change I would think (if it was going to at all). or you could get maybe a 3/4" pvc pipe about 10' long. put it on the spot and drop the tablet down it. if you didn't want to retrieve it you could probably brush it around. they dissolve pretty quickly.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

9. Back To Top    #9

OR you can drop it into the water near where one of the stains is and then when it gets to the bottom, push it to where you want it with your brush. That's what I did, didn't have to get in the water at all.
    Sallie
    25 K gal., vinyl IG, Hayward 3/4 hp pump, Hayward Pro Series S-220T 18" sand filter, full sun all day, no main drain - Columbia, SC

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try them and let you know.
    My Pool Stats