Need Help Wiring Switch to 2-Speed Pump

May 18, 2008
Sacramento, CA area
Mr. WaterWoman has some questions about wiring a 2-speed switch end cover assembly (A.O. Smith Part# 615322) to the pump motor (A.O.Smith STS1102R).

Here are pics:

#1 - Motor and inner side of switch:
Motor-Switch1.jpg

#2 - Motor and outer side of switch (label in lower left corner shows what toggle switch reads):
Motor-Switch2.jpg

#3 - Close-up of end of motor (I added labels for the connections since there was too much glare in the photo to read them, and inserted, in the lower right corner, what the little label to the side of the connections reads):
Motor1.jpg

#4 – Wiring diagram from a page in A.O. Smith’s online motor manual (page 45) that seemed appropriate (?):
AOSmithWiringDiagram.jpg

The rest of this post will be from Mr. WaterWoman, since he's the one doing this and knows what he wants to ask:

With the switch in the ‘low’ position, there is continuity between the purple and the black wires. With the switch in the ‘high’ position, there is continuity between the purple and yellow wires. So, does this mean that the purple wire is the ‘com’? The wiring diagram above doesn’t make sense to me if this is true.

Has anyone here wired something like this? Or something similar? I could use some advice. I don’t want to wire it wrong and fry it. Thanks!

There are two diagrams, you want to use the upper one, the one for "Mounted on motor canopy". There are also two different wires of each of several of the colors, which aren't really the same as each other.

It also looks like you are going to need to temporarily remove the start switch, the large sort of triangular white plastic part with wide copper strips on it, in order to get to the Y terminal, which I suspect is on the bottom of the start switch.

The diagram shows terminal A in the middle, but it appears to be on the top on your motor. This is simple enough, but it does add to the confusion.

COM, or common, means different things depending on context. L2 is common in the setup you are going to use. That has nothing to do with the purple wire.

With the switch in the ‘low’ position, there is continuity between the purple and the black wires. With the switch in the ‘high’ position, there is continuity between the purple and yellow wires. So, does this mean that the purple wire is the ‘com’?

Don't confuse yourself by calling it com. It's the hot wire.

The hot wire connects to the low speed winding when the switch is in the "low" position.
The hot wire connects to the high speed winding when the switch is in the "high" position.
The Neutral is connected to both windings.

I hope this has helped a bit.

We found a local service shop for A. O. Smith, and they say they'll wire it up for us for free (!). The hubby's getting ready to take it there right now. So, hopefully (*cross fingers*), the problem will be solved shortly! This seems to be a better option than trying to puzzle it out ourselves. (whew)

Thanks bunches for the help and advice, though, guys! We'll be sure to post what he does here, for future reference.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.