Sealing stamped concrete

MikeS

LifeTime Supporter
May 24, 2007
Burtonsville, MD
I have stamped colored concrete deck around my pool. The installer is long gone. It's been three years and my deck needs sealing. Any experts here who can steer me in the right direction??

When they originally poured the concrete, it looked almost pink. After it cured, they rolled on this sealer that made the pink look like a dirty ,more natural, paver. A lot of that "dirtiness" that gives it that natural look has faded. I need to get the "dirty" look back and seal it at the same time.

Thanks

hey, sounds like you have the exact same look as me. we had our stamped done last year,its kinds pinky with dirty areas. I am showing some signs of wear and want to reseal it in the fall. I went to home depot but none of their products are rated for pool use. Hopefully someone out there can lend some insight.

Our textured (trowled, not stamped, but is similar) concrete is sealed every year with "Glaze ‘N Seal Multi-Purpose Clear Sealer" as recommended by the installer. It seems to work very well. A light power wash (or garden hose wash -- must be careful not to have the stream too strong) is done first, then dried (overnight, usually) then the sealer is applied in the morning and dried by the sun.

I don't know if it will fix the coloration you have seen, but it does seem to restore the appearance to it original sheen.

Richard

ok, so what you want to do is to be able to add tints to it? Can I ask if your concrete is tinted all the way through or is it
painted in afterwards? the way mine was done is that they tinted the concrete all the way through applied the forms and then wait till it was dry, then they came back and threw down some dark grey powder and powerwashed it off to create the "dirty" stone look, then it was sealed. The sealant is starting to wear in certain areas so I just want to recoat the entire deck at the end of this season. You sound like the grey dirt areas on yours have rubbed off and all you have left is the original pink colour "color" for you americans.

Mine is tinted all the way through. They actually added the tint to the cement truck and then poured it out after mixing. They stamped it, then let it dry. It dried to a pinkish color that had me wondering if I had made the right color choice. I did not see any powerwashing. After it dried, they applied the topcoat with the tint in it. That was it. No more pinkish color. The tint was in the sealer. Now that the sealer is earing off, the "dirty" areas are gone.

So, time to reseal.

One the 1st page of this thread you can see my decking:
http://troublefreepool.com/viewtopic.php?t=312&start=0

Wow!! now thats a backyard!!! you have lots of deck to seal. Both our process started out the same, the only difference I see is that the sealer and the top dirt tint are one in the same, whereas for ours they sprinkled on tgrey dust and powerwashed it to give it that stone look.. and then days after that they came back with clear seal to finish the job. I hope you figure out what you need to do as it sounds more complicated and you do have the potential of it coming out different than before.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Are you sure there is antique tint in the sealer? or are you just guessing there is because you had seen such a dramatic difference after it was sealed?

I just had mine poured last week. It turned out really nice...I couldn't be happier. We picked the stamp which we liked, a tint color (wheat) and the release color (chestnut). After the patio was stamped my wife had called me at work worried because the entire thing was a pinkish red. Well...after the installer had come back and pressure washed the release powder off it revealed much better results. But it was still pinkish??? Once the first coat of two was applied the color looked great. Just as we had picked out in the book. The entire patio had a wheat to chestnut look to it, with some nice charcoal coloring too. It was quite a difference from the unsealed patio.

My neighbor is the installer I used and he pours a good number of patio's each year. I'll ask him what sealer he used...but I do know there was no tint in the sealer.

good luck,
dan

I have to stand corrected. The tint is not in the sealer. The tint is the release compound. The sealer is clear, but darkens the concrete. The antislip does go on the with the sealer. I am having a couple of contractors come look at my deck. The one contractor told me there are a bunch of different products from water base to acetone based. Due to low VOC laws, some cannot be used here in Maryland. Of course, the pricing seems to vary widely. I will let you know what I find out.

What do you guys add for anti-slip? I've found that when the concrete is sealed it is VERY slippery..
whereas in the areas where its word down I now have traction again..
Was thinking of NOT re-sealing it.. is that a bad thing ?

Hi there...

On my patio the guy threw down some type of casting beads right after the sealant is applied. I think it was made by the same company that made the sealant.

dan

Re:

MikeS said:
I went with a product called Everclear TB. It is acrylic based. I had two coats applied with a no slip additive. Deck looks great- again.
How did the Everclear TB sealant work out? Have you had to reseal since? I am currently looking for a sealant for my stamped concrete patio. I get full sun 6-8 hrs all day and looking for something that can stand up to the summer heat and sun rays.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.