Help with my SWG ABG pool chemicals

Charles

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 19, 2008
6500 gallon ABG, Intex 8110 saltwater chlorine generator (Maximum output of hypochlorous acid equivalent to 0.225 kg (0.495 lb) of free available chlorine per day.), Hayward Xstream CC1000 (80GPM, 100 ft2 filter). Hot and sunny days (100F+).

Got a late start on the pool this year and then was slow to check chemistry so got my deserved algae bloom.

My understanding of the targets for a vinyl SWG ABG pool are:
FC 2-6 ppm
pH 7.5-7.8
TA 60-80
CYA 70-80
Salt 200-400 ppm ABOVE recommended optimum level (Intex recommends 3000 ppm): 3400
Borates 50 ppm

Measurements yesterday:
FC 1.5
CC .5
pH 7.6
CYA 30
TA 90
Salt 4250

So, I figure I need to shock ASAP and deal with chemicals the next day. I added Jumbo Slime Bag, shocked with 284 oz 6% chlorox and a bag of Dichlor rated for 10,000 gallons (sorry, did not take good notes here but it was way overkill). Ran SWG for maximum 12 hours.
Cleaned both filter and Slime Bag this morning and turned back on. Pool water still a but cloudy but no longer green and looking pretty good.

Went to buy 20 Mule, Muriatic Acid, and CYA.

Measurements at noon today:
FC 14.5
CC 0
pH 7.5
CYA 30
TA 100

Looks like it did the trick but is going to need some time to get the FC down. Decided to start adding the chemicals.

To raise CYA, I added 30 oz. of CYA which should bring it up to 65, just shy of target as the only way to lower is to remove water. I will retest in a week. Should lower pH by 0.64.

To adjust borates, I assumed they were 0 and added 304 oz. borax and 128 oz. muriatic acid (31.45%). This should raise borates to 40, net raise pH by 0.28, and net raise TA by 14. I plan to add a tad more as needed tomorrow.

To lower TA, I removed the Slime Bag and installed the aerator.

Measurements I hope to see tomorrow:
Normal FC and 0 CC.
pH 7.14 plus whatever aeration causes
TA 114 less whatever aeration less causes
CYA 65 (in a week)

I would like to put the Slime Bag back on once the TA and pH are stabilized at proper levels.

I am hoping for a little pH stability and water clarity to regain the respect of my wife and kids. I have been trying to digest the information in the Pool School but may be screwing something up. What am I missing? Any other recommendations?

reebok said:
why do you think you're done shocking? did you do the overnight test? shocking is not dump a bunch of chlorine in and be done with it.
I thought I was done because after 24 hours the FC level was 14 and the CC reduced to 0. Doesn't that mean the shock is done? Or maybe I do not know what shocking is. Could you help?

I have an additional issue to deal with as well. A clamp popped off the filter (I probably forgot to tighten it down when assembling) and I lost about 1500 of the 6500 gallons. I am replacing the lost water now. That will at the least bring the salt down a bit but I will check everything in the morning.

well, maybe I'm missing it, but it appears you said you dumped a ton of different kinds of chlorine in and didn't test until the next day. that's how the pool store says to shock, but it's not the right way. shocking is a process. read all about it in pool-school/ I recommend you read all the chemistry articles, as well as how to defeat algae and shocking your pool.

I appreciate the reply. The reason for using both the chlorine and shock package was because it was what I had on hand in the evening. I wanted the shock level up to yellow mustard level to not take any chances. Since the pool was still at a shock level of 14 ppm in the morning, the water was mostly clear, and the CC was 0, I determined that the shock was complete.

Now I need to deal with the remaining chemistry. I would appreciate any advice on what I have done so far and recommendations on any changes.

Charles,

The rule of thumb we use to determine if you're through shocking is by doing an overnight FC loss test, as described in this thread shocking your pool. If your water doesn't pass the overnight FC loss test, then you're not through shocking your pool, and algae can and probably will return.

You don't lower your TA by aerating. You lower your TA and pH by adding enough muriatic acid to lower your pH to 7.2; you then aerate to bring your pH back up to 7.4 or 7.6; test your TA to see how much it was lowered, and then keep repeating the acid addition and then aeration until your TA is where you want it. The muriatic acid is what lowers TA; the aeration is to raise the pH without affecting the TA.

The amount of water you lost versus the total amount in your pool isn't insignificant. I'd check salt, CYA, and TA to see how much they were affected and adjust as necessary.

Thanks, Mike. I don't know why I did not pay attention to the shocking method. I guess I figure it was too simple compared to the other stuff which has been difficult to keep straight. One chemical change affects another and SWG pools have their own recommended rates. I am catching on. Once you get decent at the tests and understanding how all the stuff interacts, it is easier. I am getting there.

I am redoing the shock today and will do the FC drop test tonight.

If all is well, I will work on the TA tomorrow by carefully keeping the pH level at 7.2 until it reaches 60 (from the current 100). Then eventually the Borate level. The CYA will have to wait for the end of the week to allow what I put in there yesterday to make sure it would dissolve.

Just to followup on my situation in case anyone is wondering. I did the shock correctly, added proper amounts of borax and CYA, monitored pH and FC/CC, and basically followed the Pool School info. Worked like a charm. Pool is crystal clear and beeeeautiful. The respect of my wife has been restored. :lol:

I have noticed some interesting things lately though. We used to have a real problem with yellow jackets treating my pool as their watering hole. After adding borax, they no longer drink there. Matter of fact, many ended up dead in the pool. Dang, is this pool poisonous to them?

Still working on the TA, but may have it right where I want it soon. Thanks all!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.