Diapered Kids in the Pool - A Risk?

The disposable kind like huggies don't work very well at all.

The good ones, that are lined in plastic or rubber type material, really only help contain "solids" and even they won't contain a loose stool. A good residual FC will take care of urine but anytime there is a "baby ruth incident" the FC needs to be bumped up immediately - loose stool requires shocking the pool, and I agree, it's best to keep everyone out if either happens.

We use "little swimmers" although it doesn't retain the urine, it does retain solids. However like my wife found, after about 30-45mins of the solids being in the "swimmer" and in the pool that long, it isn't very "solid" anymore and will start seeping out.

So we check every 15-20mins to make sure the "swimmer" is still clean.

When I know the little one is going to be in the pool for a little bit, I will raise the Chlorine to about 3-4ppm and then after she is out, if we find a "surprise" in the swimmer, I will raise the pool CH to around 5-6ppm.

So far this summer the little one has been in the pool about 20-25 times and have only had 4 surprises.

Hopefully next season we won't have to worry about swimmers! :whoot:

Anytime you have under 5 year old childeren in the pool there is a risk. Whether they are handicapped or not does not make a difference. After each time the childeren are in my pool, (we also have a child that is handicapped along with her friends will get in the pool weekly) that night it gets shocked. I normally run my FC at 5ppm, and my shock level is 16ppm. So when the childeren get out I or DW adds a jug of bleach and I will check my levels the next AM.
Mike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.