Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: filter basket

1. Back To Top    #1

filter basket

how do i clean filter basket at pump without putting so much water on ground? i know i have to turn valve off right before pump. what else should i do before i open top to clean out basket?
    24 ft. 52 in. deep above ground
    hayward sand filter
    new pool owner/new bbb believer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: filter basket

You need to close it off from both sides. You've got the suction side covered. If you don't have a valve on your return line, you can set your multiport to closed, or any waste position (waste, backwash, rinse).

3. Back To Top    #3

thanks for info
    24 ft. 52 in. deep above ground
    hayward sand filter
    new pool owner/new bbb believer

4. Back To Top    #4

I'll open the cover, yank the basket and replace the cover really quickly, empty and clean the basket and replace just as quick. I have a check valve that prevents air from entering the suction side, but my filter will drain back to the pool if I leave it off. if I do it really quick, I barely loose any water in the pump basket.
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by crabboy
    I'll open the cover, yank the basket and replace the cover really quickly, empty and clean the basket and replace just as quick. I have a check valve that prevents air from entering the suction side, but my filter will drain back to the pool if I leave it off. if I do it really quick, I barely loose any water in the pump basket.

I do the same, except I usually drop the O-ring in the dirt in my haste and then my 3 year-old daughter will say things to me like, "Daddy, you shouldn't say that word...that's a no no."
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT