Indiana Pool Finished!

And if you are still around...

I would add a second question regarding winter use of the autocover, with your pool being vinyl, what level do you keep the water at during the winter?

With an auto cover you have to leave the water at the same level as in the summer. The water in the pool has to support the snow/water load at all times. If you drain the water below the skimmer there is too much stress put on the cover and it will likely fail under heavy load.

That's the rub with a plaster pool and waterline tile, the water level needs to be below the tile so it doesn't get popped off with the freezing. Our Coverstar installer had a slightly different take which I discussed in our thread, so I was curious to hear another real world thought . Thanks so much and glad to hear all is well with the investment!

Hardwareguy
I pulled the trigger and did a pool rebuild with a autocover. It is great! Thanks for the advice. Now I am starting to think about closing. You said you leave your water level at normal levels. I assume this means the water level is roughly in the middle of your skimmer. I would be worried about ice breaking off skimmer opening. Has this not been the case?

It will do no harm if done properly. We have a similar setup in central Illinois. Balance your water, close the cover. We put water tubes on the "open end" to keep as much junk out was we can. My pump is below my water level so we plug the skimmer, blow out the line towards the pump (with the valve open and all pipes off) until all the water is out. Then add a gallon of rv antifreeze, air, gallon, air repeat until I get antifreeze out of the valve, close the valve. Put a widget in the skimmer, open up skimmer drain and done.

For returns I hook vac up at pump and start blowing air. Closest return will bubble, cap off, next one bubbles, cap off, last one bubbles, cap off with a one way valve fitting. And then Repeat anti freeze trick from skimmer until I see antifreeze come out of one way valve. Cover all equipment and have a beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for infor bdex.. What do you use to "plug skimmer", does this mean skimmer opening? Concerning the returns...I assume you put on those one way return plugs you can buy? Have these ever failed? My other concern is the two eye bolts just above the water line where we have a rope across the ramp. Will ice buckle up and catch these eye bolts and cause damage?
Thanks for your help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There are a couple skimmer opening plugs that are available. Most are a plastic face plate with a high density foam rectangle on the back that fits tight in the opening. I used the same one 2 years in a row and last year it failed. My cover, APC, from Carmel, IN, had enough extra fabric that it was not damaged. I have never had a gizmo for the returns fail. As far as the bolts go, are they threaded into a sleeve in the wall? Can they be unscrewed and put back in next spring? If not, you don't have much choice but to leave them. I would say that they would be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.