Filter pressure rising way too quickly

ddas

May 21, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
I've been TFP'ing my pool for a few years now, and generally have to clean out my filter 4-5 times a year on average

Two weeks ago I cleaned it out, and, as usual, the pressure reset to more than 10psi (or whatever the unit of measurement is) lower than before the cleaning.

However, yesterday, I noticed the pressure spiked up to about 5 higher than the "clean" reading. And today, it's more than 10 higher than the clean reading.

Obviously, I've got to open it up and clean it. But what could make it rise so crazy fast? Any advice/thoughts/things to look for?

(FWIW, two weeks ago when I cleaned it out, it also had a slightly unusually quick rise in a matter of a few days, however, it had been a few months since the previous clean, so I didn't think too much of it.)

The filter is obviously removing something from the water. More than likely it is algae. Try an OCLT tonight as see if CL consumption is abnormal.

Cleaned the filter yesterday; pressure is now back down to its normal baseline low. The color of the cellulose was dark gray/brown (the usual color it is when I take the filter apart to clean it). So somehow, it did get that dirty in the space of two weeks.

I had been dealing with some algae cleanup over the past month or so, however, I thought it was totally gone two weeks ago, so it surprised me that the filter pressure spiked like that. But it must have been that I guess...just on an unusual timeframe.

I did the OCLT last night and went from 4.5 to 4.0 so I'm fairly confident I'm in the clear now, however, I will keep my eye on that.

Thanks very much for the responses -- this forum is a huge help and support.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.