$200,000 pool, ready to set it on fire!

Jul 23, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Get a pool they said....

So I got a pool on sale thinking it would be the best $200 investment ever. Little did I know! I've had nothing but heartbreak with this pool and am not enjoying my dwindling bank account.

The night we finally got the ground level enough to start filling the pool my five year old granddaughter was more excited than I was. That however faded as she tired of helping me smooth the liner, got out of the pool, ran over to the swing for her candy, and was bitten twice by a copperhead. Hence the $200,000.00 pool. The antivenom is 7,000$ a vial and she required 16 vials and stay in intensive care. I'm so glad to say, she made a full recovery and has no lasting damage from the two bites. Thank you Lord.

That takes me back to the pool which I have since finished filling, shocked, upgraded pump/filter all to no avail. Said grandchild is not very fond of me telling her she can't swim yet.

To say the least, Hi, I'm Cyndi and a pool newbie. My pool water is GREEN. I have no clue what to do with it next. So, here I am. Ready to set the thing on fire at this point. ??

Oh dear, we have an abundance of copperheads here and I always worry about the kids stepping on one. We keep the grass short and I always remind them to watch where they step. My dog was bitten and was ok. They just pumped him with steroids so I didn't think it was that big of a deal (although he was about 100lbs) but your post is scaring me a little.

Anyway, do you have one of the recommended test kits from pool school? That is the first step so folks here can see what is going on with the water.

OH Cyndi what a start you have had with a pool :hug: I am SO glad to hear your grand is okay after all of that.

We can and will get your pool ready to swim in. Lets get started on you helping us help you. Tell us about your pool by putting it in your signature. This is where and how you do it:

-settings (upper right of this page)
-edit signature (middle left)
-put in kind of pool, size of pool in gals, equipment size and kind

I will tell you that the best way to get and keep your pool clean and clear is like Karen said.............getting your own test kit. We endorse two-TF-100 and Taylor 2006C (notice the number and letter). Look in my siggy below to find where to buy the TF one as it is the one I think is the best bang for the buck as it has more of the regents you need on a daily bases. Since your pool is green you will want to get the XL option as it has more of the regents you will need to go green to clean.

We have videos on how to do the tests and will walk you through them with little tips we have learn over time. They are EASY to do and your grand will love helping you do them!

:hug:

Kim:kim:

It's been a rough start. I'm not sure how animals handle snakebites so much better than humans. Natures miracles I guess. My cat was bitten by a rattlesnake and completely healed also.

I am going to check into the test kit now. I have been using strips and taking samples to the pool store. My strips test high on ph, alkalinity, and hardness. Their tests say those are in perfect range except hardness that is slight high.

You have found out what we know........why we call the test strips "guess" strips and write the words pool $tore for a reason :(

They get the results wrong more than right.

How many gallons is your pool and what kind of filter do you have? Once I know that I have an idea for you!

A 15' x 36" pool, filled to 32" deep will hold 3700 gallons.

What did Leslie's have for a volume? While it won't make a difference in testing, it will absolutely make a difference in the amount of any chemical additions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do NOT use photo bucket for pics. They have shut down third party sharing :(

Some people have used fliker but we worry about them stopping the sharing as well.

You can become a supporting member and lots of room for pics AND you will get a discount on the test kit!!!! Look at the top of the page for the blue oval.

So how $$ would it be for you to drain 90% of the pool and refill? With the size that may be your best bet. It really depends on how green your pool is.

You need to clean your filter as it is working on trying to clear your pool and is full of yuck. Do you know how to back wash it?

Let me know if you want to drain most of the water or to try to SLAM it with liquid chlorine as seen here: Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

I will help you no matter which way you want to go! :hug:

Hi GoldCyn,
Just a couple of comments to start...
Your pool is green because it grew algae in it. The reason algae grew is because of poor water chemistry (low FC to CYA ratio). Hardness, TA, and pH have nothing to do with it turning green.

In order to determine the proper pool chemistry, you need a high quality test kit. Hence the recommendations by everyone to get a TF100. (Dont trust the pool store testing NOR their recommendation). The strips are not reliable either. THey can sit for months on the shelf and if so, they will go bad.

My recommendation is this - Order the TF100 test Kit.
While you are waiting, add 1/2 gallon of Concentrated bleach to your pool each day until you test kit comes in. Do not use any bleach that says "splashless" or any of that stuff. Just regular ol conecntrated bleach. OR you can use liquid chlorine or liquid shock from the pool store or walmart. Dont use any powdered stuff.

In the meantime, read up some in Pool School and bookmark these links for reference later
Pool School - Recommended Levels
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

I can drain and refill. My question is. Should I use water from the well again or use water from the filter? It's the same water supply just one runs through the salt filtration system. I was afraid of creating pump problems by using it to begin with and the flow is SLOW.

- - - Updated - - -

Dave, thanks. I've been reading those since I set the pool up.

Cyndi, can you email me a pic so we can see just how green it is right now? I will PM you my email addy if you want.

Have you ordered the test kit yet? Dave has the right idea in putting 1/2 gallon of chlorine in to keep it from getting any worse while we decide what you want to do.

With you being on a well that does change things a little.

I haven't ordered it yet. I'm slightly over budget on my newly single budget one income job bank account, argh. Considering the smaller one for starting but I know I will need extra regeants.

I can send you pics email or text.

I've put in a call to see if a friend can fill from fire hydrant. ?

I've started draining. It may take a bit to fill it up. Meanwhile, I can order the test kit to have on hand. Thank you for your help!! I'm going to read up on exactly when to add bleach during refill process. Maybe I should start that from the get go.

Okay I am back! Okay when you drain don't take it past your ankles so you don't have to worry about wrinkles again!

I have shopping list for you and some links to read:

-CYA aka stabilizer-it looks like this at the store: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Clorox-Pool-and-Spa-Chlorine-Stabilizer-4-lbs/41466055

-several gallons of PLAIN bleach or Walmarts liquid "shock" aka chlorine. IF you have a pool store that has liquid chlorine ask them how much they charge for a jug of it. You might have to "rent" their jugs but you won't have to worry about having some many plastic bottles laying around.

-Read this: TFPC for Beginners

-print this: Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals but do not buy anything on the list except the CYA and bleach for right now.

-play around with this: https://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html there is a little learning curve so take your time. Make sure to go down to the bottom and change it to TFP levels.

As soon as you start adding water you can run the hose over a sock (like a tube sock) full of your CYA. You can hang it off a empty milk jug or such. That will start getting it into your water. This is where Pool Math comes in. You will need to know how much to add for your size pool. I would use the size y'all came up with above. We will tweak it after you get your test kit.

Don't for get to clean your filter out so it will be ready for the new water.

:hug: How you are feeling now? Overwhelmed? This okay! We got ya! Ask LOTS of questions! We love to teach and help!

Kind of overwhelmed! LOL. I have about a foot of water left. It's draining very slow. My question is, is it ok to stop there? It's not extreme green and I can see the bottom. Or, if I fill with that much left will it just bloom?

- - - Updated - - -

PS. I will send you a pic. You are my new BFF! ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.