Algae or not!!

Jul 8, 2007
Montreal
Hello everyone....new here and hoping to get some help..
Been reading the forums for the last 2 weeks and I still can't figure out why I still have black spots on bottom of pool..
I have a 21' AG pool with a sand filter...(about 4 years old)..and one of those nylon socks for the skimmer....been using chlorine capsules that I put in the skimmer and lasts about 2 days...
So after doing lots of reading....I went and tried the bleach method....poured 4 x 5 litre jugs of bleach in 3-4 days....1st jug I poured in the late evening....and then in the morning...some of the black spots seemed to have gone away and the pool seemed cleaner....then it rained overnight...and the black spots came back..(even more this time)...not knowing my cholrine levels....I added 2 full cups of granular chlorine and passed the robo-kleen vacuum...kids went swimming this afternoon and the pool was fairly clean....so tonight...come back home and the pool has the black spots again!!!!!
bought a 20$ test kit and these are my readings
chlorine-- 0
Alk-between 120-180 (done with test strip)
ph-- test strip indicates 7.8 and test kit about 8.0

The more I read...the more confused im getting!!!...I added 2 cups of chlorine this morning and a couple of hours later....test says I have no chlorine... :? :?

Please help :)

Hi Firefly and welcome to this forum.

I am sure you will get more information, but in case no one is reading this, this would be my simple minded suggestion, you have to do a chlorine check at nite, then one the next morning. If you have chlorine at nite, and back to 0 in morning, your chlorine is being used up by the algae in the pool, which could be your black spots.

Other then that, if chlorine levels are the same at nite and the next morning, it sounds to me like you have some metal problems perhaps.

Hang in there, try what I suggested and if that is the case, you need to get rid of that algae, and until you chlorine levels are the same at nite and morning.

Rik

thanks for the replies....sent an email to Dave to see if he can ship the test kits to canada...all I can find here is what they have at walmart or at the local pool store...so I bought the most expensive one( 20$) and I posted my test results
cl=0
Alk=120
ph=8

my test kit has 5 bottles but I dont see any indication as how to test for CYA.... :?

can you take a sample to a local pool store? (better than nothing!)

I would suspect that since you have been using the tableted chlorine, your CYA is pretty high, too high for the chlorine to be effective.

Get the test, and post back.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.