Add Acid Demand Test to Taylor K-1000

socalsharky

Bronze Supporter
Apr 27, 2009
I just picked up a Taylor K-1000 kit this weekend, since the reagents on my current Guardex kit are running out. I have a K-2006 on order, but I like the simpler OTO kit for frequent testing. I didn't realize that the K-1000 did not perform the acid demand test, which I have used frequently on my old Guardex kit.

In researching the kits on the Taylor web site, it looks like the R-0014 Phenol red reagent and the comparator that are in the K-1000 are the same used in some other kits that have acid demand. So I am thinking of ordering the R-0015 acid demand reagent so that my kit can do the acid demand test. However, I will still be lacking the chart that converts from drops to volume of acid required.

My questions: Does this approach sound resonable? And if so, is there any place to get the chart that I need, or is there a simple drops to pints conversion for a given pool size?

JohnT said:
The K-2006 has the acid demand test, although I've never found the test very useful.

John--Thanks for the reply.

However, I would like to be able to do the acid demand test with the K-1000. Doesn't the K-2006 use a different set of reagents?

Why would the acid demand test not be useful? I would rather determine the acid demand on a sample of my pool water rather than use the pH charts that use a lot of assumptions about the pool water's chemistry.

socalsharky said:
Why would the acid demand test not be useful? I would rather determine the acid demand on a sample of my pool water rather than use the pH charts that use a lot of assumptions about the pool water's chemistry.

It could be useful in a completely unknown water situation, but once you adjust the pH in your pool a few times, you already know how much acid it will take to lower the pH a given amount. I also didn't find the test to be accurate within even several quarts of MA in my pool, so it was still guess and learn on the addition.

I've never asked the question, but I've done the same as you want to do - I've at times used the acid demand reagent from an older Taylor K2005 with the K1000 block from my tf-100. Seems to work fine, but I'll bet most on the board would advise using Jason's pool calculator, which I also do. If you need the chart, I'm fairly certain that I've seen them on Taylor's website.

Taylor uses different acid and base demand reagents and have different treatment tables for the small 1000 series comparators vs. the large (44 ml) 2000 series comparators.
You will not have accurate results if you try and switch them because the strengths of the demand reagents are different since they are designed to be used in difference sized samples.
Also, the treatment tables are NOT on the Taylor website.
Finally, the larger the sample the more accurate the demand tests are so the small 1000 series comparators are not really that useful for the demand tests. The will provide about as much useful info as the rule of thumb that each cup n to 1 1/2 cups of muriatic acid will lower the pH in 10k gallons about .2. It's in the ballpark but YMMV!

R-0015 is the correct reagent to use for acid demand with a K-1000. The chart you want, to convert drops to amount of acid, has the same numbers as the chart that comes with the K-2006. The different size sample tube uses a different reagent so that the number of drops will be the same.

Most people have had very good results using my Pool Calculator for figuring the amount of acid to add. As long as you have reasonably good test results for PH, TA, and Borate levels, and know the size of the pool, the results are quite accurate.

JasonLion said:
R-0015 is the correct reagent to use for acid demand with a K-1000. The chart you want, to convert drops to amount of acid, has the same numbers as the chart that comes with the K-2006. The different size sample tube uses a different reagent so that the number of drops will be the same.

Most people have had very good results using my Pool Calculator for figuring the amount of acid to add. As long as you have reasonably good test results for PH, TA, and Borate levels, and know the size of the pool, the results are quite accurate.

Jason--
Thanks for the reply. That was exactly the information I needed. I think I'm going to get the calculator app for my Iphone.

Ive found the acid demand test in my 2006 kit ( and the chart in the book) doesnt vary more than a couple ounces of MA from the pool calculator numbers when i enter the current pH and TA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.