Just found the site and am converting to BBB

Another update.

I took readings last night at 8pm. FC 9.5, CC 0.5, and pH 7.2. I added another 32 fl oz of 10.5% bleach.

Took readings this AM at 8am. FC 11.5, CC 0.5, and pH 7.2. I just added another 8 fl oz of 10.5% bleach and brushed the whole pool once again.

Water is still a bit cloudy and still can't see all the way to the floor yet.

My question is what is the "typical" time for water to clear up (based on my ~12,000 gallons)? I'm assuming it will take 3-4 days (at least I'm hoping it will be cleared up for the start of next week - today is Thursday. Does it take longer than this? A few weeks?

I am able to add and test hourly as I work from home full time.

Here is a shot of the water from this AM

889649dd.jpg

You can compare this to the photos in the first thread on this post and the other one at the bottom of page 1.

I realize every pool is different, I was just more asking ball park. Like are most people looking at 48 hours or 7 days? That type of thing

I see improvement. I would think you'll be done by the weekend.

Tonight when you do the overnight loss test.... test, add bleach if necessary to reach shock level, then wait 30 minutes and test again. Compare this last test to the morning's result. Be sure to test in the morning before the sun hits the pool.

Depending on how bad things are, it can take a week, there have been more extreme cases where it takes longer... there doesn't seem to be a set pattern.

So, I'm definitely seeing improvement. This morning I can see the bottom of the pool and the "pebble bottom" design of the vinyl liner. Still a bit cloudy and not fully clear, but I'm getting there. Just for reference here is a photo from this morning.

560349f7.jpg

Just for the sake of reference (since this thread has sort of become a conversion log for me) here are all my readings from yetserday, if anyone is interested:

8:00 am - FC 11.5, CC 0.5, pH 7.2
9:45 am - FC 9.5,
11:00 am - FC 10.5
12:30 pm - FC 10.5
2:00 pm - FC 10.5
3:30 pm - FC 9.5
5:00 pm - FC 11.5, CC 0.5, pH 7.2, TA 65
6:30 pm - FC 9.5
8:00 pm - FC 14, CC 0.5

Took the first reading of the day today at 8:30 am and the FC was 9, CC 0.5, and pH 7.2.

So looks like I'm on my way. Hopefully another day or two and I'll be finished.

So I think I am done the shock cycle process but just want some confirmation.

I took a reading last night at 8 pm and 9:30 pm. Both times my FC was 12 and CC was 0. I took a reading just now at 8 am this morning and my FC was 11 and my CC was 0.

So I had a loss of 1 ppm FC overnight and my CC remained that same. This passes the "shock test" right?

If so what are my next steps? Just wait for my FC level to come down to target range (2-5) and hold there?

This passes the "shock test" right?
Yes. Very nice work :lol:

Like you said, let your FC drift down into your normal range and be sure to not let it slip below that. I would prefer you set 3ppm as your bottom limit....it gives you just a little extra cushion.

I haven't read your entire thread.......

Tell us how your water looks? Are you still filtering 24/7? What was your last CYA test? Once your FC get below 10ppm, you may need to work on your pH and TA a little but all this stuff is very easy and quick compared to what you have completed.

my water looks good and pretty clear.

my last CYA test a few days ago was 0 so I have added some CYA powder. I was told I should wait a week before retesting. I will work on my TA to get from 60-80 and watch the pH closely as well.

I have still been running the filter 24/7 but after I vacuum this morning I was going to kick it down to low speed for a few hours then turn it off. Should I still be running it all day?

Thanks for all the help everyone

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would run the pool on low for at least 4 hours during the day, and then another 4-8 hours at night.

I run mine on low 24/7 which is probably overkill. You definitely need some run time during the day. Start out at the 8 hours at night and work your way down, till you find the ideal time. If it starts to look dull, increase the run time.

Things seem to be going well so far. I took another reading just now (2pm) and got the following readings.

FC 6.5
pH 7.2
TA 80
CH 30

Question on how important CH is for an above ground, vinyl pool. Should I try to raise it above 50 (to say 100 or so)? or do I not have to worry about CH with an AG vinyl pool?

I'm going to try to slowly get my pH up to about 7.5 or so. Should I use borax for this or just turn my return line up to aerate on the surface?

Borax, as your TA is pretty low.

CH is not important for vinyl, but if you want to get it up above 50, you can use some Cal-Hypo for a chlorine source, that's an easy way to raise up a little, then go back to bleach when the CH is 50.

frustratedpoolmom said:
Borax, as your TA is pretty low.

CH is not important for vinyl, but if you want to get it up above 50, you can use some Cal-Hypo for a chlorine source, that's an easy way to raise up a little, then go back to bleach when the CH is 50.

Why do you say my TA is low? According to TFP and the poolcaclulator.com my recommended TA level is 70-90. How high do you suggest it should be?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.