Algae Question?

Etek14

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 6, 2008
I have the following readings with the tf100.

FC kept above 7
TA = 85
CYA = 70
CC = 0

I run the pump for 3 or 4 hrs a day and most of the day weekends. Not a major outbreak but I have Algae still gathering in streaks in the crevices and dents in the liner around alot of the pool in a 24 hr period. I get direct sun.

My question is, is this to be expected even with keeping the FC level above minimum, I have been vaccumming the Algae up on a daily basis. Do I need to shock or is this normal considering my situation.

Of course FPM is right. Do a FC overnite drop test. When I do mine I use the 25ml fill and multiply the drops by .2. That way you have an accurate measurement of just how much the FC drops. Be sure to get your samples after the sun is off the pool and before the sun is back on it the next morning.

We have tons of dirt in ours so I do a drop test every couple of weeks.

FPM, I don't have any on the walls but have actually dived down with goggles and taken a look :lol: it appeared to have a dirt but also a strange consistency I thought may be algae although you may be right about it being dirt only since it is gathering in the crevices which would make since.

Thanks for the replies...........

I would suggest increasing your pump run time to about 8 hours daily. It may not be the primary reason your algae/dirt is appearing but it may well be a contributing factor.

With a CYA of 70, Your daily FC loss should be around 2-3ppm at most. The overnight FC loss test will confirm if you have organics (and I suspect you do).

We are in identical (almost) climates. I would back off just a little on the CYA to 50-60 and hold the chlorine where it is at around 7+ppm.

Regardless if it's dirt or algae, I believe those changes will tweak your pool a little and get you on track for cleaner, clearer water.

How are you chlorinating?

What's your pH and TA?

Duraleigh, thanks for the advice. My TA is 85 and PH is 7.5. I have direct sun on my pool all day, do you think I would still benefit from reducing my CYA, I know the chlorine would be more effective at 50-60. I try to run the pump when I get home and turn it off when settling in for the night, prob not ideal runtime.

I would agree with Dave, and I didn't even notice the pump run time on your OP. Probably not enough time. Is the pool covered during the day? If not, you should run your pump for a few hours during the day, maybe get a timer that runs 4 hours daytime and 4 hours nightime....

maybe get a timer that runs 4 hours daytime and 4 hours nightime....
Yeah, that's a nice mix. I really believe 8 hours daily, split into two sessions would help the overall cleanliness of your pool and perhaps get more of that algae gone. Sorry I missed your TA earlier.....your pH is, of course, ideal.

It's your call on the CYA. We may be splitting hairs a little, but I think you could have a better pool with a little less CYA (and subsequentlyu a little less FC) and some more filtering.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.