Slippery pool steps......anti-skid tape?

lsbarkley

LifeTime Supporter
May 15, 2007
New Jersey
New pool this year and wife today said steps a little slippery getting in. Told her I would ask everyone here anything I can put on the steps to help with grip. Before I could do that her father came over and slipped on the first step and slide in. Think he is ok for the most part but scared the heck out of us. So...is there any tape or product that can be applied to the steps to add some grip to the steps? I know the the regular anti skid tape but anything that can be applied with the water in the pool? Hope someone can shed some light on this...thanks for your help.

LS

HI LS, we had the same problem here, and no it wasnt algae, it was someone stepping on some sun screen, then walking directly into the steps, and you guessed it, swoosh, right in, luckily no harm done. I have applied, after bringing water down to middle step, some rough sided adhesive tape, I applied it with polymer glue which needs water to set. Even if it comes off once a year, I can easily apply more.

Rik

I have a fiberglass pool, and if the steps are slippery, then it is some kind of algae, maybe watermold. What kind of sanitizer are you using? The steps on a fiberglass pool should not be slippery. I see you have a swg - maybe you don't have it generating enough chlorine. If you post your chemistry numbers we can help you better :)

Hi Mbar,

dont think it is algae..not that kind of slippery.....is the same pool you have just going down into a pool it can be slippery. I dont have a problem but since it has happened looking for a way to add more grip. My numbers are as follows:

FC = 3.4
TC= 3.4
Alk = 80
pH = 7.2
CYA = 40

Dont think it is algae just more some people going a little to quick. I have been able to maintain my #'s fairly easily with the autopilot swg. Water has been clear and havent had to shock yet since pool install in early May. I know you mentioned it doesnt turn green in the fiberglass but wiping and using magic eraser often. Very meticulous at least for now! LOL. I did notice however that waterworlds pools have various patterns on their steps..maybe ours is a little too smooth. I will mention it to them and see if they maybe have a solution that doesnt involve removing most of the pool water since your not supposed to do that. Thanks for the inputs.

LS

In my opinion, you should shock and see if it takes care of your slippery steps. I know the first year I had my pool the steps got slippery and my numbers were fine - after a while I started to see little paper like floating things. It turned out I had watermold. After it was cleared up, no more slippery steps. Now everytime I feel the steps getting slippery I take my chlorine up. It is just my experience. Maybe some other fiberglass pool owners can chime in here and see if they have slippery steps, and what they do about it. :?: It would be a good idea to get in touch with waterworld and see what they say. :)

Hi, Rik,

Could you shed a little more light on where you got that tape and glue? I have seen that issue posted several times and no one has come up with anything as effective. Could you post a brand name?

Thanks

a solution?

Well I my rush to get something that would at least be temporary was to find bathtub suction mats at Walmart. I took a clear one with little bumps and cut it into 3 pieces for the steps. So far so good..just wonder what the longer term might present. I am the only one to try it out so far...we will see what everyone else thinks when they get into the pool. Thanks for the feedback. Mbar I did bump up the Cl but also take into consideration that the person who slipped cant walk and chew gum at the same time if you get my drift! LOL. Thanks...I will update in a while to see how my first attempt goes.

Ls

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Isbarkley, Mbar makes a good point about easy removal. If I let the one in my bathtub go a week, I get the pink 'biofilm' that is common around here. However, you may not have to remove and clean yours as often as it's in a chlorine solution all day - I would remove them periodically and bleach them - the water 'transfer' is low for that area and algae or 'bionasties' can grow there!

HI LS, we had the same problem here, and no it wasnt algae, it was someone stepping on some sun screen, then walking directly into the steps, and you guessed it, swoosh, right in, luckily no harm done. I have applied, after bringing water down to middle step, some rough sided adhesive tape, I applied it with polymer glue which needs water to set. Even if it comes off once a year, I can easily apply more.

Rik

I know it's really, really old but wondering how the glue held up or if you've moved on to anything else that is working for you. Have physically challenged person and looking for something with some grip for her to feel more stable getting in and out.
Any recommendations, suggestions appreciated.

I posted this exact problem last year after slipping while getting in. I think my problem was long feet, short steps and going in fast as if I were on stairs without water.
I warn everyone now to make sure they're holding on to the hand rail and entering slowly. I didn't have algae or "water mold" (whatever that is?).

I am going to give this a shop....clear shower mat. I will let you know how it works as I have the same problem. I will cut this into strips for the step.

Click the link below. This is the link to the Lowe's website for the mat.
Bathmat Link

Let me know what you think about this.

2nd year pool owner having no issues following TFP.com website recommendations!

--Mike

I'm interested in any suggestions. We bought a house with a 16 x 40 fiberglass pool. Pool was approximately 6 years old at the time and in really, really bad shape. We've cleaned it up pretty good but the steps look hideous. There is a residue of some type of non skid coating that has worn down. I attempted to contact the manufacturer of the pool but of course, they are out of business. Apparently when they installed the pools there was a non skid coating applied to the steps. I found a guy who builds fiberglass pools and he came out and took a look at it. Said he could sand down the steps and reapply a non skid coating for $1400.00 which includes draining the pool down and bracing the sides so it doesn't collapse. Oh, and the kicker is, he says it will only last 5 or 6 years. Hmm... too expensive. Also, I have a great fear of draining down a fiberglass pool. Have heard horror stories about them cracking or popping out of the ground. We live in So Louisiana where it rains a lot!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.