Is that pool going to increase the value of your house by $x?

PoolGate

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 7, 2017
Damascus, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
"Is that pool going to increase the value of your house by $x?"

Does anyone ever get tired of hearing this? Any snappy comebacks?

"Nope"

And then just stare at them until they say something. Most likely the answer to the next question will be "because I want it." And the answer to the next comment will be "I don't care."

I am an amateur radio operator. Nothing I have done to my house regarding that has increased its value, quite likely the opposite. Because I want it and I don't care. :D

I agree with "nope"...and would also add "however it does increase the comfort and relaxation level of my life"

Sorry - I have no snappy comebacks...but I might add that being in the mortgage business - I have seen many home appraisals with pools. While it can certainly go both ways - I have seen many more positive value situations than negative value situations in homes with pools.

I would argue that its not so much the pool itself but the landscaping around the pool that dictates a positive or negative value added.

People will take thousands of dollars away from a home because of paint color. Same for appliances you could have high end commercial appliances that are painted white and people will say they are worth less than a stainless steel trimmed appliances you got off the side of the street.

We are a visual people if it looks expensive people will value it like it is regardless of how poorly it might be made. If it looks like it will be really hard to maintain people will assume it is. If it looks intimidating people will shy away form it.

It isn't so much talking to these parrots about the "actual" value you may or may not see added to your house, it is the "matter of fact" attitude many of them have when proudly broadcasting their thimble-full of knowledge about pools and home values. The assumption that the only reason you would ever do something is to see a tangible return on it. In their vapid mind the only thing they see in their tunnel-vision is what they've heard others say. When I suggest that this is an investment in my families happiness they quickly move on to the "what-ifs" like "what if you move in 2 years". etc. etc. etc. Gets tiring!

If you move in 2 years you are going to loose money due to real estate fees moving costs. So if you think it is a possibility, it would not be smart to do almost anything to your home as most projects give you less than 100% return on investment. Those that think they do are watching too much DIY shows or house flipping shows, which do not really pertain to most homeowners. The smartest thing if you think you would move in 2 years would be to rent not buy, but if you are staying a while buying is financially better. But again, what are you getting in return when you spend money on vacations and hobbies?

It isn't so much talking to these parrots about the "actual" value you may or may not see added to your house, it is the "matter of fact" attitude many of them have when proudly broadcasting their thimble-full of knowledge about pools and home values

So, the snotty way to fix their wagons if they're being douches about it is to say:

"Really? In MY demographic buyers value luxury add-ons ;)"

If they're sincere and not-douches about it, simply tell them:

"It's certainly increased the value of my property TO ME, and since I can comfortably afford it, that's all that matters!" ;)

What amazes me is the pundits who espouse this kind of judgemental drivel are often the ones whose households drive the fiscal equivalent of a gunite pool with travertine ;) Talk about negative ROI!

Never had that happen but I thought about it before I built one. I'd say no and neither does a basement reno, kitchen, or anything for that matter. HGTV etc always boast about how a kitchen is the best "investment" b/c you can recoup up to 80% of the value of it in equity. When you point out only a lousy investor would do something that lost 20% off the bat it puts things in perspective. Tell 'em living is an expense and you might as well do what makes you happy (with a smile of course :D ). I've had pepole ask about the cost b/c they want to know if they can afford one (or want to spend that kind of money) and I tell them flat out, it's a large expense upfront, not so bad ongoing. One has to decide if the family times, memories, convenience is worth that expense.

I think I see what you're getting at...that question can be asked as if they are saying "why would you do that?!" Even if we don't know we'll enjoy not knowing in our pools! :D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm okay with the money I may never get back... I waited 35 years to be able to afford spending money on things that have little return on investment. With that said, most people that gawk about a poor return on investment for a pool would have no problem spending money on a bmw, mercedez or $65k truck. Talk about poor return on investments. I guess i should feel proud that I can afford to waste money on both:D

I'm a retired LGC who specialized in high end decks and porches. The question of ROI for the project was asked frequently. My response was always the same: If you are building this to make money, then stop and don't bother. Unless you have a crystal ball that can tell you what the real estate market and the preferred "hot" improvement is at the time you plan to move then there is no way to determine the return. Build it for your pleasure and enjoyment. That is your return. If it adds something to the sellability or value then it's great. Otherwise, build it for yourself and enjoy it. Or forget it.

I've never made a decision about our home, including the pool, that was made in consideration of 'the next guy' that may someday buy the house.

There are really only two days that you care about the value of your house. The day that you buy it, and the day you sell it. In between it is all about how you want to live and what fits your lifestyle. I wouldn't consider an expensive remodel that would be a major detractor from the value. But a pool here in AZ will add some value, certainly not what it costs. In other locals it may limit the number of potential buyers, and thus actually lower value. It's not a decision made based on payback. If you want a pool, you need to decide if it's worth it to you, not to the next owner.

I'm in FL and just bought a home with screened pool (I know that's popular down here). I know that homes with screened pools certainly seemed roughly 20K higher than those without when I was shopping them.

I just looked up my appraisal and when comparables had a screened pool the line item was 0 and when not it was + 20,000. That being said I've been told folks are getting quoted upwards of 80K prices to build new pools down here (this is when they outsouce the whole project and hearsay as I never got a quote) so if someone built a screened pool for 80K and then sold their house they might be a bit letdown on the return... I've heard some people say you are better off buying a home with a pool than putting one in these days, but again hearsay...

Like others have said, we built our pool because we wanted one and solely for our enjoyment in the years we will be in this home, which will be for quite a few or else we wouldn't have done it. Never was ROI or adding monetary value a thought in the process.

That said, if anyone looks at before and after pictures of our backyard and sees the transformation from a basic run-of-the-mill backyard with little landscaping other than grass, limited seating areas and really pretty unusable in the heat of the summer to the gorgeous outdoor oasis we have now with not only the pool with water feature, but nice landscaping surrounding it and 500 SF of decking adding two more sizeable seating areas, I'd be shocked if they still thought it wouldn't add some significant value. Probably won't recoup what we spent, but there is value there for sure not only from a recreational and aesthetic standpoint, but also the standpoint of adding to your overall usable living space, albeit outdoors.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.